Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a used top-loading Kenmore washer. After about a year

I have a used top-loading Kenmore washer. After about a year of use, I noticed that my clothes were coming out dirty: there are specks of dirt, animal hair, lint, etc., all over the clothes. It almost looks like the washer worked correctly - agitated the clothes & then got all the dirt off - but that the dirt never left the machine, and instead went back on the clothes. I wonder if there's a filter inside the machine that needs to be cleaned or replaced, which would solve this problem. Advice?

there is a filter that needs cleaning in this. Part 541811heres a great video on how to take the cabinet off to get at this easy. click this blue link, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I accepted your answer before I took apart the washer, since I didn't want to leave my computer on.

I took the cabinet off the washer, but there is no filter in my washer. The water goes directly from the drum, through an outlet control (it looks like the settings on this are open/closed; it's definitely not a filter), and out through the wastewater hose. So, it's really unclear to me why the particles (which are smaller than the holes in the drum) are not passing through with the waste water.

I need to go out for a couple of hours but should be back by 11.00est you probably need to pull the tub and get the gunk under it clean out, this you will need a spanner wrench for , I will explain then. thanks Bryan