Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator, MODEL # ARB9058CW

We have an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator, MODEL # XXXXX purchased in fall of 2003. Refrigerator & Freezer seem to be running but not cooling or freezing. Ice maker not working either. Have been noticing a chemical odor when door is opened, not bad food odor. Have been noticing odor for about 2 weeks now. What do you think the problem could be?

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer? look real good.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No frost
ok can you get behind the refrigerator and feel the compressor? is it hot , warm or cold? is the fan in the freezer running? how about the one next to the compressor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a solid panel in the back, no access. Back panel doesn't feel hot or cold, I guess just warm. The fan in the freezer is running.

are you sure theres no access? does the back look like this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The back does not look like the one pictured. There are no louvered vents visible anywhere. There is no tubing visible either.
thats strange the model # XXXXX gave me comes up with those diagrams , every place I look comes up with that. ok remove the back panel inside the freezer we need to know what the frost pattern looks like.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is more than we care to do or feel comfortable doing ourselves. What do you think could maybe be the problem? Something repairable or a new refrigerator? We will need to have a technician out to the house. Thank you so much for your time and response. Where is the green accept button?

well this can be a pain to take apart, I'm trying to help but sometimes you just need to call someone for service . sorry it wasn't easy. this may have a freon leak and that can run into hundreds of dollars. its up to you , thanks Bryan