Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag refrigerator model mff2557heb freezer not working Coil

Customer Question

Maytag refrigerator model mff2557heb freezer not working
Coil are clean
Coil fan is working
Fan is blowing air out the freezer vents
Fan is blowing air out the Refrig vents
The Blender vent door (top back of Ref does click a bit)
Last week the Ref starting freezing everything so I turned down the temp from 6 to 4
Left the freezer the same at 5
Every thing seem ok till this morning
I had ice water in the freezer and every thing started thawing out.
On thing I did notice is the piviot bar between the french doors was hot to the touch
I have not notice this before ( Maybe so the doors wont stick together?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

there is a fan next to the compressor in the back check and make sure its running, # 20 on this diagram. let me know, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That was the first thing I check

The fan is running and I have good air flow

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
usually when the center strip between the doors gets hot the condenser fan has stopped, your talking about the fan behind the refrigerator not inside correct? is the compressor running? feel it and see if its vibrating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the condenser fan is running

The compressor is hot to the touch on top

I unplugged the unit from the wall and plugged it back in I can feel a very slight vibration

on the compressor

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you will need to remove the panel in the back of the freezer and check the frost pattern on the coils, let me know what they look like,is there a lot or a little? are all the coils frosted or just a few?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is on the inside panel correct freezer section not the refrig section

So am looking for to see if am low on freon

Where is the green button you are taking about

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes the panel inside the freezer in the back and yes we are looking at the coils to determine if the freon is low,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for you time

Just check the temp its 45 degrees top and bottom

Compressor is running full time

Check low pressure line out of compressor to evap cool to the touch about 45 degrees

Time to go look for a new one

check price on the compressor 300 plus install

Must be low on freon o well

if you have any more ideas let me know

I do alot of Automotive AC repair so I have some Idea of whats going on

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
it probably not the compressor but a leak which would need to be found and repaired before filling it anyway, that could run as much as $300.00 alone, usually it the evaporator coil leaking. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After I check the temp and it was at 45 degrees top and bottom

and inspected the evap

I realized the compressor was not coming on even though it was warm to the touch

and I could feel a slight vibraiton

I replaced the starter relay on the side of the compressor and bingo all is well

Freezer 0 degrees

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats great! thanks Bryan