John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My 1990 vintage GE Space Maker Microwave does not heat. The

My 1990 vintage GE Space Maker Microwave does not heat. The clock and computer programing and readout functions appear normal. I think it makes all the usual fan and power supply noises. Are there any easy things I can check to determine if it is worth fixing? Safety interlock switches, power supply vs magnetron??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

The fact that the oven does everything but heat, rules out safety switches. The problem is in the magnetron high voltage(4,000 volts) circuit. Due to the high voltage present, when the circuit is powered up, it's not considered a DIY job, and it requires special test equipment, used by a trained service person, to determine which componet(s) have failed. It's best to call someone to diagnose the problem.

If my answer helps you, please click the 'accept' button.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.