FixAllPhil, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years of experience in the appliance and HVAC fields

whirlpool gas dryer; timer dial does not move when on and there

whirlpool gas dryer; timer dial does not move when on and there is no heat. Is there something wrong with the timer or is this a safety feature and the problem lies elsewhere?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAllPhil replied 6 years ago.

To answer your question, yes and no.

If the timer does not move on the 'timed dry' setting then the timer is the problem. If the timer does not move on the 'auto' setting then the problem is elsewhere.

The elsewhere is most likely an open heat element. If the heat element is bad the timer is not powered on the auto dry settings.

Let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks! timer moves on timed dry but no heat. does not move on auto dry no heat. If after replacing heat element, with no change in functions, what would be the next course of action. p.s. great name my sone calls me that too.

There are only 2 things that could cause the symptoms you have.

Open heat element, you can check it with an ohm meter or if you take it out, you can see it broken.

Open resistor, this is near the timer, it has orange wires going to it. It can be checked with an ohm meter and should read between 4K and 5K ohms

Let me know if you need more help, I will be around