Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a newer Kenmore glass top oven and when the windows

I have a newer Kenmore glass top oven and when the windows of my house are open the oven stinks up the house with a wet dog smell. I know its the oven because we moved it from my old house into a newly built house and the smell has continued.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.
Is this while the oven is on or off...? You have a unusual problem for sure...In my 30 years of appliance repair ive never heard any thing similar to your problem..Have you used the oven since you moved it to the where it is now...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is when the oven is off.

I have used the oven since moving

The oven is in my kitchen

Could the "Air Guard" on the oven be the problem?

The strange thing is it only releases the odor when the windows are open if we close the windows the smell stops. If the AC or heat is on no odor problems.

No would not be the problem...Odor could be in the oven insulation...What i would no is remove the oven from the kitchen ...Open the windows then see if it still has the smell..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My house is brand new and I had been in the house without the oven and the windows open before we moved in the oven. This happened at my old house as well with the same oven.
Then your odor is coming from the insulation in the oven..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the fix
Replace the insulation...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have you done this job before? What are some of the steps to this project? Where can I buy the insulation? Is the insulation foam or fabric?

The insulation is fiberglass type material...You would most likely need to special order...You basically have to break down the oven...It is not a fun job...Very time consuming..Click on the link below for where to order..

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Because you said in the 30 years of appliance repair you had not seen a similar problem I want to make sure that it is indeed the insulation causing the odor. If it is not I will have done a lot of work with no end result. I plan on tackling this project within the next two weeks. If your diagnosis is correct you will be paid and positive feedback will be given. If it is not the insulation I will let you know and we will go from there.
I would first remove the back panel...Get a smell of the insulation...You might just even have a dead rodent inside the cabinet...It would be impossible for me to tell you exactly what your problem is without being there in person...You provide information on your problem...I gave you my professional opinion based one what you suggested.....Also all i ask is that you read the bottom "How IT Works" On my reply...Goodluck on your repair...Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not solve the problem the filter for the AIRGUARD needed to be replaced
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
My previous reply to you...."It would be impossible for me to tell you exactly what your problem is without being there in person...You provide information on your problem...I gave you my professional opinion based one what you suggested.....Also all i ask is that you read the bottom "How IT Works" On my reply...Goodluck on your repair...Thanks Bob"

Please be fair about accepting..Thansk Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair