FixAllPhil
FixAllPhil, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years of experience in the appliance and HVAC fields
37836419

Kenmore dryer not working. push to start switched jumped.

Kenmore dryer not working. push to start switched jumped. it's not that.
next step? Walt

On your electric dryer there are a couple more things to check that will cause the motor to not start. I will list them in order of most likely to least likely. Let me know if you have questions on how to access them or test them.

- Circuit breaker in home. Make sure you have power to the outlet.

- Door switch, on the top right of the door opening is a lever that activates the door switch, push this in and out and you should hear it click, You can also test by jumping it or with an ohm meter for continuity.

- Thermal fuse, take the back panel off of the dryer, just to the left of the vent opening will be a white plastic device with 2 wires, this can be jumped to test or use an ohm meter to check for continuity.

- Motor, the drive motor can have open windings, if you look close the wiring terminals on the motor will have numbers. Look for 4 and 5, testing those with an ohm meter should show you under 50 ohms.

Let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Door switch clicks, but it that enough proof?

I do have power to the dryer..... need to find my ohm meter and try the thermal fuse

Typically a click is a good indicator, but if you have access to an ohm meter that will show for sure.

I would go to the thermal fuse in back, that is pretty common to fail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok...need ohm meter how do I continue this discussion? I have to leave...and buy a meter.....I am savvy enough for this....just cannot locate the meter... I will need to restart this later....?? Walt

also, how would I check the door switch? it's buried in there, no?

Hi Walt,

You can leave this question open, you do not need to accept it until it is resolved. I will be around most all of today.

Phil
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and I get back in touch with you how?
You should be able to sign back on and reply to this same thread. As my message here will be sent to you awaiting a reply.