Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Power works in my Whirlpool dryer, but it does not tumble.

Power works in my Whirlpool dryer, but it does not tumble. Is it a belt?
To check the belt unplug the dryer.Pull out the lint filter remove the two screws that are there.Then use a putty knife inbetween the top and front about three inches in from the corners there are two clips one on each side push in on them and lift the top.The belt should be tight around the drum.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've tried to pop it out but can't. Not sure if I"m being aggressive or not trying to do it or I"m not doing it the right way.
If you tilt the putty knife up and push in on the clips that may help.The clips are plastic and can be a pain sometimes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Progress: I got it out enough where I can see the belt. Looks like the belt is not broken, but may have slipped off a bit in certain spots. Looks like it is away from where it should be flush. Can you tell me how it should be seated? Almost like it should be closer and snug, closer to where I am. Can you help?
There should be a line on the drum where it is suppose to ride.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The belt is not broke. Looks like it is rubbing a bit on track. Would that get it to stop tumbling? Or something else?
When you try to start the dryer what happens exactly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I press the "Start" button: it turns on and sounds like it is running, but the tumbler does not turn. You would think it was running, but no tumbling.

How hard is it to turn the drum by hand?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Easy....no problems...
But the motor starts is that right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES.
Unplug the dryer and remove the front there are two screws one on each inside corner.Unplug the unit first.Inspect the idler pulley it is what gives the belt tension.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only screws on the front are the hinges for the door: there are 2 on each side, but they don't seem like the right ones.
They are on the inside of the front at the top corners.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm clueless. I cannot find any screws at the top corners. Frustrating.
They are inside of the front they should be 5/16 hex head screws.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only screws I see are the two small ones by the black switch that engages the tumbler, and the 2 on each side by the hinges
The screws are on the edges of the front panel on the inside where the front and sides meet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate the time you have spend with me on this. I cannot find the screws. I have looked up and down. Does not make sense to me. I have looked everywhere on the front and sides and there are no visible screws to take off. On the back all kinds of things to take off.

You are looking on the inside of the front under the top?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. To no avail. No screws.
They are hex head screws they should be near the top.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only hex head screws I see are on the back of the machine. There are 2 near the top in the back, one on each side. Nothing at the front of the dryer...
I don't know what to tell you they are there they are what holds the front on to the sides.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It should be easy. I have looked at this stupid thing for an hour and cannot find the screws. I know what they look like and they are not there. I"ve looked on the sides, where the front and sides come together, inside the dryer, etc...thank you for the help. At least I know the belt is not broke, I know where that is, after that, "screwed."
Well i don't know what else to say.That is how thw front is held on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm ass backwards. I just popped the top open. I never did that...I'm an idiot. I saw the belt through the vent opening...I have to take my son to a soccer tryout...thanks for your help...I guess I"m on my own now, but maybe I can figure this out...sorry...
After soccer come back to this question and we can continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks...I'll be back in about 30 min....

Chris

ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Back...jus took the two screws off...
Ok check the pulley under the drum is it ok is the belt on it ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are three wires: white, blue, and orange that are connected to door via a plastic piece that connect the same colored wires to the dryer. The front will not open completely due to these wires. Should I disconnect the plastic piece where the wires run into?
Just disconnect the plastic connection it pulls apart.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am holding in my hand a long rubber thing about 1/4 inch wide that is broken and frayed...it was laying at the bottom...
That sounds like the belt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since I'm relatively clueless now, this has to be it. I"m thinking the inch wide thing around the drum was the belt since I"ve never done this before. What are my next steps...???

Go to your local appliance parts store and get a new belt and replace it.This is how it goes around the pulley.

Diagram H

Style: Flat with ribs

Installation Tips: Ribs against drum

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought this dryer at Lowe's: I should be able to buy a replacement belt there? Believe it or not: I'm color blind to a degree. I think I see a blue line pattern. Would that be the belt when instlaled?
I'm not sure if lowes will sell parts and yes the blue line is the belt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK...thank you for your help. I've learned some new "stuff." I appreciate your assistance and patience...much needed. I'll get the belt today if I can find one...

Ok great.

If this has been helpfull please press accept.Thank you.