Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a 20, cu ft, Bottom Freezer, Kenmore Model # 596.61142101

I have a 20, cu ft, Bottom Freezer, Kenmore Model # XXXXX purchased new in Aug 2001. The freezer continues to work fine. The refrigerator compressor(?) is now running constantly and the refrig compartment is not keeping contents cold. The fins and cooling area under the fridg is relatively clean. Is this problem likely quickly repairable with a solution that will likely last for a few years?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 6 years ago.
No Not a quick fix at all...If the compressor is running and the unit is not cooling...Then you have a problrm with the sealed system(compressor...Coils..Etc.)...It could be a leak in the system or the compressor could be bad...Either way it would cost anywhere from $400.00-$500.00 for repairs..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. Note that I said the freezer seems to be continuing to freeze properly (after 1+ day). That suggests to me that the compressor is probably working ok. The refrigerator compartment is not cooling.  Is there a likely a simple fix - like a thermostat replacement?
Ok...The fridge does not have its own compressor...It is cooled by the freezer...There is a fan in the freezer which circulates air into the fridge..Open the freezer and make sure the fan is running..Also check the back inside wall for any ice buildup...