Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

my Maytag Dryer doesnt heat up. i order and install a new

Customer Question

my Maytag Dryer doesn't heat up. i order and install a new heating element kit but it still wont work , what should i do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a voltage tester?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Have you checked the voltage at the dryer plug?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How much voltage should it have? and how do i check it?

Pull the plug out just enough to get the leads from the tester to touch the two flat pins on the plug.You should get 220 volts.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i get 240 volts

Ok now you need to get to the element.Pull off one wire and test it to ground for 120 volts.The wire that does not have 120 follow it.It will take you to the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

either of the cables was giving me volts, i followed the cable to an alternator looking thing i checked the cable connected to the aternator and it was giving me 120V but it wont give any charge at the conection to the element, what do i do?

Where is this part located?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the element is on the top left corner, and the alternator is on the bottom, there are two cables coming out of the element a thick one that conects to the alternator and a thin one that goes into the panel where we select drying modes
I think you mean the motor is that what it is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah that must be it
So niether wire will give voltage when tested to ground?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yeah they show no voltage when is on and running and when is off

Where the cord goes into the dryer is a access panel remove it and inspect the wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did and now i have power in the heating element i tested i push the star from the panel the heater spiral element was red and hot for few seconds and then doesn't work again

You may have a loose wire.Inspect all connections.