Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer -WGD5840SWO. It just started

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer -WGD5840SWO. It just started with this symptom...Turn it on, runs for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and cannot start it again for several minutes. When it first happened it smelled like something was burning in the laundry room (cannot be a good sign!) Is there any hope for this dryer???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like the motor is bad and needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where on the unit is that located and how do I access it?
Pull out the lint filter remove the two screws that are there.Use a putty knife inbetween the top and front about three inches in from the corners.There are two clips push in and lift the top.The front has two screws holding it.They are on the inside corners.There are two springs at the bottom of the front on the inside that will need to be released.Unhook the belt from the motor and idler pulley.Pull out the drum.That is where the motor is.Unplug the dryer first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My apologies, I meant to ask one other question with the last...Can I tell in the motor is bad from visual will I know for sure that the motor is bad. i would like to confirm that prior to ordering the replacement part.

It should smell burnt the windings in it are bad.

If this has been helpfull please press the accept button.Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are inside the motor they are what makes it run.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tom, I have lifted the top, taken off the front of the dryer, removed the belt and drum. I have taken the clips off the motor. Everything is loose except the the back of the rod that goes through the hole in the back wall of the dryer. How do I get that out?
There is a plastic blower attached to it.You need a adjustable wrench on the plastic blower and a pair of vice grips on the motor shaft.ataurn the motor shaft to the right.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just one last follow up. I ordered a new motor, but I cannot get the old one off!. The plastic blower attached that I grab onto while turning the shaft is getting chewed up by the wrench I have on it. I simply cannot turn the motor shaft! (and I am turning to the right...towards the cabinet.)

Any suggestions??
Yes sometimes they will not come off.You will need to break the wheel and replace it.If you can't get it off.You do this from the back.