Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

My dryer will not run, the light does not come on, but you

Customer Question

My dryer will not run, the light does not come on, but you can hear the timer running. When I turn the breaker off, you no longer hear the timer. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a model number? I need that to see if I can find a wiring diagram. Dave
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a thermal fuse in series with the common "C" terminal of the door switch. If it is open the light and the dryer motor can not operate. The thermal fuse is located near the heater and if it is open, (no continuity) it must be replaced. Dave
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I get to the thermal fuse to check it?

Sorry for the delay. Your dryer was made by Maytag but I can't be sure what Maytag model to compare it to for a service manual. The thermal fuse is back with the heating element and should be accessible from the top with the top tilted back. I have attached a link to the parts list that may help. Dave!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=CDE8500W&pathTaken=partSearch&prst=0&shdMod=CDE8500W