Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a frigidaire front loading washer model # ftf530es1

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire front loading washer model # XXXXX and when I set it on normal wash it will fill up with water, and then begin to spin, but it will only make about a quarter revolution and then stop. It will continue to make this quarter revolution an then stop for about thirty seconds. After this it will simply not continue in the cycle. If I turn the dial I can get it to drain and fill up with water again, but only by manualy turning the dial. I checked the motor and speed control and both are fine. If I turn it to final spin it will again do a quarter turn and then stop for about the same amount of time as before.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
This is a bad speed control board and there is absolutely no way you can test it so I have no idea what tests you did but believe me--it's not good and your test that you did is completely false. Replace the motor control board if you want to solve this problem, it's a common way for this unit to fail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The speed control board is new and was just replaced at the begining of this problem and simply tested it again after the new one was installed. The old one was not reading the correct resistance between terminals. So what would be the next step.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
that would be replacing the motor if it's causing the control board to short out, you'll need to replace both at the same time because this is definitely a speed control board issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I am on the right track because I replaced the motor after the speed control board. Unfortunitley the problem has not been fixed and the repairs are starting to get pricey. I am wondering if this is common for both the motor and board to go at one time. also since the machine does not advance through its cycle does that indicate some issue with the timer or other electical problems. I do not want to keep having to buy parts and would like an honest answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
The motor control board actually tells the timer when to advance so if the timer isn't advancing, that's an indication the motor control board is bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The "motor control board" does this have another name because when I look it up in the frigidaire parts manual it is not listed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
it can also be called the Speed control board or the Inverter Board.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does that mean that the new speed control board that I purchased and installed is faulty and should be returned, because I have already purchased one of these and it did not solve the problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes, I would assume that to be the case.