Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

Hello. I have an LG WTR857 washing machine which has suddenly

Customer Question

Hello. I have an LG WTR857 washing machine which has suddenly stopped draining. It displays error code "OE" which indicates a drainage failure (no kidding), and as the drain hose is not blocked or kinked, I'm guessing the drain pump has died. Is servicing or replacing this part easy for a DIYer, or is it best left to a service technician?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hi
This is pretty straight forward.
Does your model have an access panel on the back?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have the back panel off, and can see what I assume is the pump. It's a Hanning Elektro-Werke DP040 - 027.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hi
That sounds right.
It should have the drain hose and tub hose connected to it.
Normally held in by a couple of bolts.
Get the water out by lowering the hose into a bucket, raise the hose to stop the floor.
Check to see if the pump is just blocked, it may well be.
If this isn't it, use a meter to check for continuity of the pump windings. If its open circuit you will need to replace the pump.
Contact an LG agent for the part.

I hope this answers your question and you click the accept button for me, as this is how I get paid for helping you.

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Rob,

I have the pump out, it isn't blocked & the blades turn ok but with resistance which I presume is normal for an electric motor.

How do I check the continuity of the windings? I do have a multi-meter.

Thanks

Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Depending on the type of motor, this should turn fairly easy. Check to see if it looks like its got water in the bearings.

Set meter to ohms. Scale should read 1 (No continuity)
Join meter leads together scale shoal read O (Complete continuity)

Join one lead to each terminal on the pump and what is the reading you get?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>83 - 85 ohms. Is this good???</p><p>I'm guessing if the pump is ok, then it must be the circuit board that controls the machine cycles... </p>
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hi
OK, that would indicate that you have continuity, but what i don't like is that you say its got resistance when you turn it?

What i would do next would be to connect a voltage across the pump to see it actually run

You may not want to this as it does involve using live voltages and hence can be potentially dangerous

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Rob,

I don't like messing with 240volts, so I'll take it to a service centre and get them to test it out of the machine.

Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
HI
I think thats the best thing if you arent sure.
Take it to a local spares place , they'll put 240v on it and my guess is it wont turn fast enough.
If you get a new one, replacing it is just the reverse of what you've done

Thanks for the accept, appreciate it

Rob