Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

Hi Justin, now have a new problem! Washing machine has been

Customer Question

Hi Justin, now have a new problem! Washing machine has been working great up until today . Washed 2 loads, all ok - then went to wash 3rd load and no matter what program or cycle you select the machine goes straight to wash cycle then pauses and the start light/button flashes with the door open light glowing a dim red . have tried 1 - reset button 2 - unpluging machine and leaving for an hour 3 opening and closing door. No other lights are flashing or are staying on. any thoughts??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Justin is not working at the moment.

It seems that the problem of the start light/button flashing with the door open light glowing,
may be your door switch is bad or door nor closed well.

The most common reason that this problem would occur on that model washer is that the lid switch is broken. Check to see if it will click ok. If not, you may be able to push a pen or wooden Popsicle stick down into the slot to get it to switch on.

Even if it clicks ok, you would want to check it electrically be sure it will complete the circuit when engaged.

This is the switch on the top front right of the machine with the lid open. you will see two Phillip head screws holding it in place. easy fix is to unplug machine and take screws out of switch, clip wires and use wire nuts to connect another switch.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 1:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The switch appears to be ok as it clicks and allows you to open the door. Machine does not fill up with water when you select any wash cycle. It starts and then pauses just before water should enter machine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please can you supply an answer as we are desperate to get this sorted out and don't really want to buy a new washing machine as it's only 3 years old. I am not being impatient but I did send this question at 10.10am this morning? Thanks
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

You do not need a new machine.

Even if it clicks ok, you would want to check it electrically ( Meaning with an ohm meter) be sure it will complete the circuit when engaged.

Either the lid switch is bad click or no click and needs to be tested with a meter, or the water control valve is bad.

If you can not teat them your self a hands on tech can test these parts and save you money by only replacing the faulty one.

Unfortunately I can not be there to use my test equipment.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/2/2010 at 1:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will borrow a multimeter tomorrow and my husband will test it . Please can you tell me which of the 3 connectors need to be tested for continuity on the door switch ? Also where would i find the water control valve? Your help is much appreciated.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
What is the complete model number and make?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whirlpool WFS1071AW-7.5kg

This is a front loading washing machine and every time you turn the control knob to a wash cycle etc the machine goes straight to wash and does not fill with water. This happens for about 10 seconds and then the washing machine stops and door open light dimley lights red. Have removed the door switch to test (As you recommended) But I need to know which male connection/s in need to check for continuity on the switch? to confirm if this is the problem.

Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
First : Are screens at inlet hose connection to washer clogged?
each water hose connecting to the washer has a screen in the hose at the point of connection. Remove water hoses from washer an clean screens at water inlet!

To test the door switch continuity:
Use a continuity tester or multi tester to test for continuity. Set the multi tester to the ohms setting X1. Touch one probe to each terminal. You should get a reading of either zero or infinity. With the probes still in place, depress the button or lever on the switch and the reading should change to the opposite extreme.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi , we are still waiting for a part (door switch ) to come from over east to confirm problem. We are still without a washing machine at home and as yet have not fixed it. As soon as the part arrives and it is working I will confirm this and pay . Thankyou for your patience.

--- On Thu, 5/8/10, JustAnswer <XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote:
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Okay , Peace
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Received new door switch and fitted, washing machine still not working. Have taken off both water pipes and checked for blockage, all ok, have also checked filters where pipes fit to washing machine. Removed lower drain bung by water pump this is also clear and not blocked. Have come to the conclusion that it must either be a printed circuit fault or another electrical device. As this repair is costing me money and time I have no alternative but to purchase new machine. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya

Some times it is worth replacing old washers when the cost over powers the price of replacement.
Peace, God Bless
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate that but not when it's just over 3 years old!!
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You are correct if the machine is only three years old. I would fix it.
I must repost your question for another expert.
I am leaving on business.
The other experts will pick this up.
Sorry.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,
Are you getting an HF error code, which is no water detected.

Since you checked the parts that can give HF code which are: inlet valve, water supply, It may be the pressure switch and or timer board (CCU).

Start doing procedure below:

No water detected entering machine or Pressure switch trip not detected.

If after 30 seconds the control does not detect water entering machine and then valves will be turned off and the error code will be displayed.

Or

If the control has turned the water valves on and after 8 minutes the flow meter has detected 10.5 gallons of water passing through it, but has not detected the pressure switch trip, the valves will be turned off and the error code will flash.

Press PAUSE/CANCEL twice to clear the display.

If there is no water in the unit:

1. Make sure that both valves at the water source(s) are turned on all the way.
2. Check for plugged or kinked inlet hoses or plugged screens in the inlet valves
3. Verify inlet valve operation
If there is water in the unit:
1. Verify Drain pump operation
2. Pressure Switch Hose is in good condition and properly connected to Tub and Pressure switch
  • Verify there is not a siphon problem
  • Verify wire harness connections to:Inlet Valves, Pressure Switch, Drain Pump, Flow Meter, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check all hoses for possible leaks
  • Verify pressure switch operation
  • Verify flow meter operation
  • Verify CCU operation
If that does not work you may need to call a hands on tech to test pressure switch. In that case you can ring the number listed on the owner manual to get in touch with a Whirlpool rep.