Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

MY Maytag Neptune won,t agitate or spin. Door locks, water

MY Maytag Neptune won,t agitate or spin. Door locks, water will fill and will pump out water. Do not see any burned spots on circuit board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hiya,

Is the motor turning at all? Or Humming?

The first thing I would check on your neptune washer is the control board that is on top behind the timer.
There are three screws along top that you will have to remove. Then you will be able to flip the front console towards you and lay it on top the washer.

Take a close look at the control board. Find the R-11 resistor.
If it is burnt looking you will need to replace that control board.

You will also need to replace the wax motor that is located in the door lock assembly.
If you don't replace the door lock wax motor at the same time you will damage the new control board.

Here are the parts you will need to order to repair your Maytag neptune.

Control Board icon
iconicon

Wax Motor icon
iconicon

If you have never replaced your washer fill hoses now would be a good time.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 4:29 AM EST
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hiya,

You need to check the door switch. this will cause the no wash or spin too!
If the door will not lock, the washer will not enter a spin mode. See if the lock light is lite on the console.

Broken wires at one of the out off balance switches or a bad switch itself.

A fairly common trouble maker has been a burnt diode on the main control board. See diode R11.

Troubleshooting: Washer Fills but Will Not Tumble

- Check to make sure the Drive Belt has not come off of the Motor and Pulley. Reposition the Drive Belt if needed.

- Check the wiring at the Machine Control.

- Check the wiring between the Machine Control (Connector P4) and Motor Control (Connector JP4) and between the Motor Control (6 phase wires and the 3-position connector) and Motor (6- and 3-position connectors).

- Perform the Drive System Diagnostic Test.

Troubleshooting: Washer Will Not Spin

- Set the Timer Knob into a Spin increment and start the washer. Check to make sure the Door Locked Light comes on, after a 30-60 second delay.

- If the Door Locked Light does not come on, check for 120 vac across the Door Lock Wax Motor.

- If 120 vac is present when the washer is running in a Spin increment but the Door Lock Wax Motor does not extend fully, replace the Door Lock Switch Assembly.

- If the Door Lock Wax Motor does extend, check for continuity across the Door Lock, Spin Enable Switch when the switch actuator button is pressed in. If there is no continuity across the Door Lock, Spin Enable Switch, replace the Door Lock Switch Assembly. If there is continuity across the Door Lock, Spin Enable Switch, check the wiring between the Switch and the Machine Control terminal P3-7. If there is continuity in this wire, replace the Machine Control.

- If 120 vac is not present when the washer is running in a Spin increment, check the wiring between the Machine Control and Door Lack Wax Motor (brown wire no. 14). If there is continuity between the Door Lock Wax Motor and Machine Control terminal P7-4, replace the Machine Control.

Drive System Diagnostics

Troubleshooting: Drive System Diagnostics Test

- Set the Timer knob into the Delay increments

- Press the Push to Start Switch to start the washer in Delay mode. Confirm that the Delay Light comes on.

- Check for 120 vac between the L and N terminals (black wire no. 27 and white wire no. 13) on the Motor Control.

-Check the wiring between the Machine Control and Motor Control.

- Unplug the washer power cord.

- Remove the 6-position Connector JP4 from the Motor Control.

- Plug the washer power cord into the wall socket.

- Press the Push to Start Switch and confirm that the Delay Light comes on. The Washer should tumble continuously at 50 rpm in this test condition.

- If the washer tumbles, the drive system is functioning properly.

-If the washer does not tumble, check for continuity through the fuse on the Motor Control.

- If the fuse is functioning , check the six power transistors on the Motor Control for visible damage. Replace the Motor Control if any damage is evident.

- If there is no visible damage on the Motor Control, perform the Drive System Phase Loss Test.

- Unplug the washer power cord and replace Motor Control Connector JP4 when finished.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 4:45 AM EST
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation