Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

I have a kenmore trio fridge. The fridge thermostat is reading

Customer Question

I have a kenmore trio fridge. The fridge thermostat is reading 78degrees and the freezer reads 3 degrees,I put hand held thermostat and it reads 68, any clues
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 6 years ago.

You did the right thing and the first step to clean the coils.

If your freezer is filled up so much that the packages cover the air vents in the back of the freezer, then this is causing the cold air to be blocked from traveling to the fridge.
Refrigerators share the cold air from the freezer and if the air vents in the back of the freezer are blocked the cold food compartment in the fridge will get warm..
If this is not the case, then you may have a bad thermostat, or cold control.
In this case it is better to have a hands on tech on location to test each of these components with the meter before wasting money randomly swapping out parts blindly.
Also electrical parts are not returnable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I do not accept the answer, while doing more troubleshooting while waiting I found the fan motor between the freezer and fridge not working
Expert:  Neilwill replied 6 years ago.

Great to hear the mystery is solve.
You can get the parts you need at a reasonable price at the Repair clinic.

Because we can not be in our customers homes we are detectives and need the customers eyes, ears, and hands to find out what is the matter. It takes some questions and answers until we get it out in the open and figure it out. most are not as skilled as you
are tonight. Congratulations.
Peace God Bless, Neil

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 4:21 AM EST