Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

my 4 year old Optima series Meile is show the intake/drain

Customer Question

my 4 year old Optima series Meile dishwasher is show the "intake/drain" LED all of a sudden, never happened before, i took apart the input filter to see if it was clogged, nothing. I sounds like its trying to pump in water but no water is coming in. The sound is like a humming sound. also i just recently put in salt for the water softener... any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Have you open the pump section like it shows in the User guide??
One last thing have you had a new disposal install recently??
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,

In the user manual there's a section on how to clean the non-return valve. It's the plastic piece under the wire below the triple filter. Did you kink the drain hose? If you don't find a clogged valve, spin the impeller wheel several times. It's under the valve inside the bottom hole where the valve came out.
Now here's the important step- Reset the fault! Power off/on the unit. If the light blinks when you turn it on, Press and hold the start button 4 seconds with the door open. Find the combination of off/on buttons to press to reset the machine in the user manual.
(Note: If the machine runs continuously as soon as you pressed on the power button, then you have water under the unit in the safety pan. ) This happens occasionally. There is a long thin bottom panel along the floor. Then there is another panel behind it. Behind, there is a pan that holds water. If too much water gets in that pan the intake/drain light comes on. (Take those two panels off, feel in the pan, if there is water pooled, then wet vacuum the pan dry. This may solve your problem )

Now select the normal wash cycle close the door and start it. The drain motor always runs first. This verifies to the brain how much water is inside the machine when it starts filling. The drain pump runs for half a minute. If you hear it running with no drain check the drain hose especially if it's connection to a disposal. Clean the disposal.. If it's not running at all the light will go on again before filling, call Miele you will need a hands on tech on location to test more. If the machine fills up with fresh water, the drain works. Watch and listen when the light comes on. Is it filling or did it start circulating? Open the door, are the baskets are dripping wet? Then it filled and circulated. If the light comes on several minutes later then call Miele you will need a hands on tech on location.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/1/2010 at 3:15 AM EST
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi

well...i've tried everything you suggested and nothing. i cannot find anything in any manual about how to reset the dishwasher and i've tried a bunch of button pushes but nothing.

also i could not get the lower pan(s) off the bottom of the unit and highly doubt there is water under there.
to make matters worse i called Meile and their "authorized" service people won't come to Santa Cruz from San Jose, what a joke... so now they have to find someone else.

no motor turns, there is no water going in or out of the dishwasher.

could this have something to do with the salt??? i have been using "generic" water softener salt for over two years with no issues because its such a pain in the rear to get the Meile salt....

thanks i accepted your answer but too bad it didn't work
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Yes you should have been using the recommended miele salt.

What is your complete model number?
Perhaps this caused a build up. Some models you need to remove the dishwasher to get the water out of the pan. Its a flood control sensor in or near the pan.
i'm looking for your manual now to send you the info on the valve.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/3/2010 at 4:10 AM EST
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,

Optima G2430 Miele dishwasher with intake/drain flashing light

Did you get an error F13 which is an inlet fault?

First the unit drains and then fills with water. When the unit has intially drained open the door and manually fill the unit with water, about 5lts. This will then allow the dishwasher to go to the next step which is to circulate the water. If this works ok then the water tap is defective, water inlet valve is defective or the electronic unit is not sending the signal to activate the valve. The water inlet valve is the white square box attached to the tap. Remove this and check the filter and make sure water comes out of the tap.If ok then remove the bottom panel of the unit under the door. On the right hand side there is a 2 core cable with a male and female connector. Unplug this and check for voltage from the electronic when the unit goes to fill with water. If there is 240v then the electronic is ok. You will then need a new waterproof system from Miele.

Edited by Neilwill on 8/3/2010 at 4:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi
yes i took out the filer inside the unit and the little pump cover thing its all clear.
there are no "F". codes displayed it just shows time. i have talked to Meile guy on fone to try to reset thd thing by holding "start" button , etc no dice
i hate thought of pulling it out but may have to if i cant get someone out here
i did clean out input filter on water inlet it is fine
will let u know how it turns out
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
What is the complete model number?
I just guessed,Optima G2430 Miele dishwasher.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh yes... sorry its a G2430 SCU and also i have not had a new garbage disposal installed. as matter of fact disposal and dishwasher were installed same time 4 years ago.

so a little repetition here but...

power on the machine - no noise, no water flowing, no pumping, just a slight "humming sound", in a second or two the 'intake/drain' LED turns solid for 1 sec, then flashes 4 or 5 times, then the whole thing repeats. i get no "F13" or "F" anything indication on the display just the time to wash. i have tried holding the 'start/stop' button with power on/off door open/closed etc but cannot seem to find the right combination of things to 'reset' the dishwasher. i have a case open with Meile to find a repair person who will come to Santa Cruz to fix this.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
whats your zip code?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,

IT COULD BE THE FLOAT SWITCH ASSEMBLY.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING VERY CAREFULLY AS WATER AND POWER DONT MIX WELL

Before testing the float switch, unplug the dishwasher or shut off the power at the fuse box or breaker panel to avoid an electrical shock hazard.

When the water in the tub lifts the float to a set point, the float switch is triggered and it shuts off the water inlet valve, stopping the flow of water. If the float switch is defective, the tub may overfill.If the float switch is obstructed or corroded it can prevent the tub from filling by holding the fill valve off !!so locate, check and clean.

To access the float switch remove the lower panel located beneath the door. The panel is usually held in place with two screws either above or below the panel. It may be necessary to first open the door to the dishwasher to reach the screws over the panel, then close the door to remove the panel.

Note the location of the float in the dishwasher's tub and you will find the float switch beneath it in the access area. The switch has two wires connected to it. Label the wires and connections so that you can properly reconnect them later. The wires are connected with slip on connectors. Firmly pull the connectors off of the terminals (do not pull on the wire itself). You may need to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the connectors. Inspect the connectors and the terminals for corrosion. If either is corroded they should be cleaned or replaced.

Use a continuity tester or multi tester to test for continuity. Set the multi tester to the ohms setting X1. Touch one probe to each terminal. You should get a reading of either zero or infinity. With the probes still in place, depress the button or lever on the switch and the reading should change to the opposite extreme
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi

well...so here's the resolution, the Meile repair guy came over and yes it was the float switch but he had to take off the whole door to get to it under the unit, not easily done.... $145 total cost. he said we use too much detergent... not sure if i believe that or not but.. oh well .. its now working.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
He is correct about to much detergent.
Yes, if you use to much detergent it can screw up ma few things by leaving residue.
You do not need to fill up the detergent cup.
And when using liquid detergent you need use only a tea spoon to a table spoon. It's concentrated.
Also I let the hot water run in the sink until it feels hot before I start the dishwasher too!

Edited by Neilwill on 8/5/2010 at 11:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi Neilwill,

let me tell you what the "final " answer was to this problem ... it may come in helpful some day.

The "waterproof" system had to be replaced - that is the input hose with that fancy filter on it.
However.. here is the rub. The whole installation was wrong. The input hose 'waterproof' system has to be mounted VERTICALLY - if you look at an installation guide it always shows it mounted vertically. Mine was mounted down low to the floor and HORIZONTAL. According to the repair guy who came out, when he first saw that he said "hmm... i've never seen that before and it should not be mounted that way". Well apparently mounting those things horizontally is *bad news* and they don't last very long. So ever since he replaced that and mounted it vertically its been totally fine. Meile's are touchy things. The float switch in the bottom was a red herring. it was part of the problem but not the whole problem.
keep that in your tool box..;-)
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Very unusual.
Thanks for the return