Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

I have a GE Smart Water, propane water heater. No hot water.

Customer Question

I have a GE Smart Water, propane water heater. No hot water. When I tried to restart it the pilot light would light but when I let the button up it went out. Replaced the thermocouple. The pilot light stayed on but when I turned up the temp from vacation it flamed on and then went out. Now I can not even get the pilot light lit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Clean the thermocouple orifice. When it lights, the flame blows out from low gas at the thermocouple flame. Use a brush and clean the tip of the gas tube for the pilot flame.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cleaned it with brush. The pilot did restart easily. Let it go just on pilot and was working fine. Started turning up the temperature dial. The gas kicked on and had a large circle of blue flame for about 2 seconds and then it went out.
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
When the main valve opens the pilot flame will change shape just a bit and move it's position just a bit. If the thermocouple is not positioned just right it moves out of the pilot flame and will drop out the safety valve and shut down. Watch for this happening and reposition the thermocouple.