Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE refrigerator Model GS2225QSTASS Side by side steel was

Customer Question

My GE refrigerator Model GS2225QSTASS Side by side steel was freezing food in the refrigerator. Now things are defrosting in the freezer and the refrigerator is no longer as cold. The temperatures for both have been at the factory settings. The unit was purchased 3 1/2 years ago. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer? do you hear the fan running in the freezer? is there a clicking comming from the back?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

There's no frost on the back panel.

The fan is running and there is cool air blowing.

There is no clicking.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry was off line for a bit. ok if you can pull this away from the wall and take the cover off over the compressor and feel the compressor , is it hot,warm, or cold, also see if its vibrating(running) let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is cold and vibrating. I also cleaned a lot of dust off it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if its cold thats not good, this means its not running or its bad, let it run a little while and check it again, do you hear any clicking or buzzing every few minutes comming from it ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There's no clicking or buzzing.

There is air flow in the freezer and fridge, but it's not very cold.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you have to check the control board # XXXXX on this diagram, take it out and turn it over to check for a bad solder connection, or burns, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just opened that panel and I'm a little uncomfortable to playa round with that board.

I have never done this before and I'm not sure how sensitive this board is or how I would remove it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
there are 4 plastic posts on the refrigerator holding the board, you need to squeeze them with needle nose pliers and pull the board out, if your uncomfortable then you may need to call a tech , sorry. does the board smell funny like it burned?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was able to get in there and the board shows no burns.

Three of the plastic posts were easy the 4th was a pain.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yeah I know. ok put it back and plug the refrigerator back in, do you hear the compressor start?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it has a low whir.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok next you need to take the back panel inside the freezer off and check the frost pattern on the coils, let me know what they look like,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No can do. I've got stuff in there and people are arriving at the house in a little bit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , can you tomorrow? we need to see the frost pattern to know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryan, We've got people staying overnight and we're off to disney tomorrow.

I think that the freezing in the refrigerator compartment may be from a "damper" problem.

It looks like the problems are with the compressor and maybe also the damper.

I've made an appointment for a GE guy to come on Wed. So, I don't think i'll be able to check the coils before then.

What would be your best guess at this stage or is it impossible for you to tell?

(I've googled this refrigerator and even though this unit is just a few years old it looks like others have had problems w/ the compressor and damper. The damper is noted for causing freezing in the refrigerator area.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if its freezing things in the refrigerator still the damper is most likely the cause, I was more concerned with the freezer defrosting, not sure at this point didn't get to check enough things, anyway good luck and well wishes, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's no longer freezing things in the refrigerator and

the freezer is definitely warmer and things are thawing. There is still cool air blowing on both sides. It's just not cold enough to freeze anything.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well you need this looked at as soon as possible then. thanks Bryan