John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

Hi. Upon returning home I saw that my GE Spacemaker 1800 microwave

Hi. Upon returning home I saw that my GE Spacemaker 1800 microwave oven was on. The interior light was on and the oven appeared to be operating. The door was closed. When I opened the door, the oven shut off. The control panel showed a mix of unidentifiable characters. After unplugging oven and letting it sit, I plugged it in again and reset the clock. It is working but the oven is making loud, static type noises and the keypad "beeps" or sounds are very low in volume and not sounding as before. What to do?
Thank you for your advice and help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Does the oven make the noise you're describing with a glass of water in it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, my microwave oven makes a static like noise with a glass of water in it as well as when it is empty.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The microwave energy is shorting to the chassis somewhere in the wave guide. It's best not to use the oven, until the matter is resolved. This condition overheats the magnetron. The usual place this occurs is at the opening where the microwaves enter the oven cavity. There should be a plastic cover over it. It's in the ceiling panel. Check to see if there's a burned spot in the cover, and post back to me on what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ceiling panel of my oven has an area that is perforated. I do not see a plastic cover over or inside these perforations. The interior light is located inside this area, but I cannot see anything else. As I was operating the oven to observe the ceiling, it actualy started to become quieter, however then I could not stop it! That is, it would not respond as I pressed the stop/cancel button on the control pad. I had to unplugg the unit to stop it.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

This problem needs to be diagnosed by a professional service person, who can observe what's happening.

If my efforts have helped you, please click the 'accept' button.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience: 25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company