S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My flame will not stay lit for more than 40 seconds in my whirlpool

My flame will not stay lit for more than 40 seconds in my whirlpool gas dryer. I replaced two fuses. I have continuity for the others. I just replaced the solenoid coils. When the problem persisted, I replaced the flame sensor. Even with the venting tube removed from the back of my whirlpool dryer, the flame goes out after 38 seconds. What else can I replace? After I replaced the flame sensor, I am beginning to hear some strange noises when the dryer is not operating. I sounds like ball bearings rolling back and forth. When I unplug the dryer, the rolling noise stops.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
are you running this with the front on the dryer and wet clothes inside?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the front is on and the dryer is empty of clothes. Should I scrub the sensors inside the dryer?

with no clothes in the dryer that is all the longer the flame will most likely stay on. you need to run the dryer with wet clothes in it. with out the wet clothes the dryer will heat up to temp very fast. with clothes it takes longer for the dryer to reach temp and therefore the flame will stay on longer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mr. Thomas,

I put a wet towel in and the flame stays lit longer. It still goes out, however. I am also hearing clicking noises, almost as if someone were feeding dimes into a slot. With each click the blue flame through the peephole seems to turn orange for a instant.
the coils should make a clicking noise when working correctly. you need to put a complete load of laundry in and see if the dryer works correctly. if it dries correctly but you are still hearing more noise than normal you can change the valve itself but you will always have some clicking noise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the value that I might change? The gas valve? Do I need a plumber to change this valve?

yes the gas valve. it is rare that they go bad but possible that they get noisy. it sounds to me that your dryer is working correctly. you can change the valve yourself.
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dryer flame remains blue for 50 seconds with a single towel in the dryer. I will try it with a full load of laundry shortly. Thank you for your help.