Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Im getting the same error (F71) on my Maytag 3000 series washer

I'm getting the same error (F71) on my Maytag 3000 series washer model number #MHWE300VW 11. I can order the part, but wanted to know how easy it would be for me to change this out by myself. I'm fairly mechanically and electrically "smart", not certified, but not stupid. I'd love to just be able to change this out myself, and move on. What is the likelihood of it not being resolved by changing out this control panel? Could the F71 error mean anything else? We had a horrible electrical storm, lightning hit very close to our home, blew out the power in my garage, and then my washer went on the fritz. I could claim it on my insurance, but they want to take my washer, and my deductible would eat half the cost of the washer. It'd be less expensive for me to just order the $200 part than for me to make a claim, and buy a new one. I appreciate any advice you may have for me. Thanks so very much. Tiffany
F71 is a "heatbeat failure" which means that your front interface control board is shorted and will need to be replaced. it's actually fairly easy to replace and can definitely be done by yourself. To access the part, just pull the unit forward and remove the 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. Remove the top panel by pulling it back, up, and off. Then remove all the screws going into the top of the control panel. Remove the dispenser drawer and remove the screws coming in through the dispenser. Remove the screws coming from the inside of the dryer going forward into the control panel, then remove the control panel (it's just clipped in on the bottom. After that you can disconnect the wire harnesses to the front interface control board and replace that part.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In your reply, you stated "dryer", I just want to confirm these are the directions for the Maytag 3000 series front loading washing machine?
sorry, yes I meant washer---that's why I said to remove the dispenser drawer to remove those screws. Sorry about that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last thing. I'm sorry to bother you. But, I want to make sure that a hex set tool will get these screws out? I know that seems stupid, but I want to make sure i don't need any special tools. The phillips head screwdriver isn't working so I'm thinking the hex set is what I'll need.

I appreciate your help.
they are side 20 torx bit screws. But you can also use a 1/4" nutdriver for most of the screws I think as well.