Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Model GC2225GEKB fridge and freezer have stopped working. There

Customer Question

Model GC2225GEKB fridge and freezer have stopped working. There is a quiet hum from the fridge freezer while the doors are closed. As soon as you open the doors the noise increases substantially and there is cool air coming into the fridge and freezer. Soon after the doors have been closed the noise subsides. None of the noises appear to be out of the ordinary. When the doors are open the compressor at the back operates. When the doors close, the compressor stops even though the fridge is warm inside. The freezer door had been left slightly open overnight a week or so ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

first thing to do is remove the back panel in the freezer section and check the frost on the coils, tell me what it looks like. also pull the refrigerator away from the wall and listen to the compressor . is it cycling on and off/ is there a click or a buzz comming from it? is the fan next to the compressor running? let me know, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have pulled the refirgerator away from the wall and removed the black cover at the base. The compressor and fan run when the fridge/freezer doors are open but do not run when they are closed.I have removed the internal freezer cover and can view the coils. When I first open the freezer door, there is no frost on the coils. The frost on the one end of the tubes forms very quickly after opening the doors and continues to form along the length of the coil.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , you have a door switch problem, you will need to replace this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its a three way switch and the closed position is bad, good news is its under $10.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GC2225GEKB-%3d%3dei1164494&PartID=1164494 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it the door switches on both fridge and freezer sides? If I simply remove the switches will the fridge and freezer operate in the mean time?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

it should run if you were able to keep the switch in the out position like when the door is open, I don't believe however taking the switch all the way out will work because it feeds power to the board for the compressor. maybe you can get the switch out enough it the wires are long enough and tape it inside the freezer for now, if you know electrical you can find which two are connected when the door is open and jump those two together.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan, Thank you for your help. I have managed to get the fridge/freezer working by leaving the switches connected and removing the light bulbs from inside the fridge and freezer to eliminate their heating effect. I pulled both door switches from the freezer and fridge side out but left them connected to the wires. This means that the door switches are connected but in the door open position. This is of course not a long term solution. The water and ice dispenser will not work as there seems to be an overide which prevents the water dispenser from working while the door is open. In any event, I will try to get hold of the switches (I am in UK) and hopefully that will resolve the problem properly. I did try to jump between the common and NO of the freezer door switch but that did not work - as soon as I closed the fridge door, the compressor stopped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

PS I removed the switches and tested them with a continuity tester and they seemed to work fine, however it might be that the door is not closing the switch enough. I will try to tape an additional spacer on the door to make sure the switch is being fully depressed. I will accept your answer in any event, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX - email XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not been able to locate a UK supplier for the 3-way switch, only the 2-way switch which is located on the fridge door. Do you know who might supply these over here?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'll look into that later for you. thanks Bryan