Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

maytag pavt244aww tub fills, no agitation, no sound (timer

maytag pavt244aww tub fills, no agitation, no sound (timer silent), but hot electrical/hot rubber smell. Timer will not advance through the cycle at this point.
After time passes (20 - 30 minutes), can manually advance timer to spin and machine functions properly, however time must pass (thermal overload?). Timer will advance to end of wash cycle once it gets started on spin, but will not advance when the machine stops initially. Drum rotation feels tight, but can be turned by hand.
Recent repacement of worn snubber ring that caused catastrophic pump failure (also replaced). Belt replaced last night.

does this drain? when you advance it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. pump works fine. Full tub of laundry + water spins and pumps out completely. cycle finishes normally.
ok this is going to be the motor, the motor turns one way for agitate and the other for spin, check and see is the motor is real hot in agitate, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not near the machine - I'll have to check later today. But the odor is strongest when the machine completes the fill cycle. Instead of agitation, there is no motion & no noise - no groaning like an overloaded motor makes, no belt squeal, no timer ticking. Machine just sits quietly and emits a foul odor (reminds me of an old hound dog...)
ok let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Don't know if this went before, so here's a repeat:

new info on behavior:

agitation starts ok. after about 30 seconds, light smoke appears in the cabinet (can't tell where it's coming from). motor feels warm, but I can't get my fingers behind the splash guard. After about 2 minutes (and more smoke) the machine just stops. RH side of the cabinet feels very warm, and I can almost get a finger to detect "hot" close to the motor in the case. Is the motor loosing its smoke?

the motor is shot, you need to replace it, you can order it on line @ or pick one up locally. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK. One more question:

I replaced the snubber ring 4- 5 months ago. When I replaced it, I vacuumed up a lot of white plastic shredded snubber ring. I notice that snubber ring dust is accumulating again. I will probably replace the ring again when I replace the motor (cheaper now than later). Any tips to reduce the rate of wear?

not really, these just wear, smaller loads help.