Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have an elite series electric dryer +/- 4 years old. The

We have an elite series electric dryer +/- 4 years old. The light comes on whe the door is opened, but none of the controls work. The dryer does not run.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get me the full model #?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Kenmore Eliet HE4

Smart heat

Quiet pak 9

MOD 110.85862401

ok . great , your thermal fuse has blown. Part 2986this is common on these, # XXXXX on this diagram, remove the cover under the door (there are three screws real close to the floor) hard to see, anyway its located on the blower once you get the cover off, you can order this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The part you suggested is on order. If it fixes the problem, I'll accept your answer.

ok , no problem , let me know, thanks Bryan

did you find where it is? if so you can unplug the machine and take the two wires off and tape them together for a test, if its starts thats it, don't run it for long like that its a safety, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It was a piece of cake!

The dryer's running like it should.

Thanks for the help.

your very welcome, well wishes, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I accepted your answer last night after installing the thermal fuse. The dryer ran, but I only let it run for a few seconds.

This morning, it does not run, same trouble as before.

ok you must have a short or a bad motor,if it keeps blowing the thermal fuse there are more problems then just the fuse. how long did you run it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I only ran it for about 15 seconds without anything in it. Then I went to bed. This morning, it's dead again.
thats really strange. is the fuse blown again for sure? try the test I told you above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see a test, pleasse reply
ok take the two wires off the thermal fuse you put in and put them together tape them good and try the dryer. see if it starts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I jumped the fues with a wire and it now runs.

Fuse blown again?

ok, theres another problem causing this to blow the thermal fuses, since you didn't run this for long last night I'm thinking its a short somewhere, you may need a service tech to trace it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I jump the fuse to get a few loads dry before we run out of clean clothes?
well its not recommended because if theres a short you could catch fire, thats why its a safety, I cant condone doing that, sorry, its dangerous.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We'll try a local repair tech.

your welcome, well wishes, Bryan