Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Whirlpool Conquest (GD25DI refrigerator freezer)

We have a Whirlpool Conquest (GD25DI refrigerator freezer) purchased 10/2003 and have only recently been having trouble with the ice maker. Seems the sensor may be out as cubes are dropping to the point of overflow and when dispensing ice, cubed or crushed, there is no automatic response or dispensing of ice and a 'thumping' noise occurs.

I've pulled the bucket out and cleared it of ice that has formed around the blades and still having an issue. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so this is all likely one problem. You definitely have an issue with the ice level sensor being bad that needs to be replaced. This sensor is actually an infra red light behind the right on/off button for the icemaker in the freezer, as well as another receiver board behind the flipper on the left side of the freezer. Replace this part and you should be good to go again. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I clicked on the link provided and there was a part or a listed part for the sensor. Is this the sensor I need to order and if so, is this something we can handle on our own? Also, does this correct the issue with the bucket and ice access from the outer door?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
It should correct the issue for everything but you won't know what problems will be in addition to the overfilling until after you replace the board.

Yes, that sensor I linkked to you is jsut something you need to order and replace, it only takes about 10 minutes to change out---it's very easy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the fact the dispenser is not working properly for ice, the replacement sensor will make the wand in the ice bucket work properly in addition to the ice cube level?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
it very well could but you won't know again until you replace the board. This board controls all the functions of the icemaker and bucket so replace the part and see what happens.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You're the expert and if this is the correct part for our Whirlpool I will definitely order it per the link you provided.