Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Frigidaire Gallery series front load washer display is stuck

Frigidaire Gallery series front load washer display is stuck on PAUSE. I can't figure out how to reset. 1) what could have caused it? (I did not pause it. I started washer and went to store. Noticed it was on pause hours later when I went to transfer clothes to dryer and found them sitting in water)and 2) How can I reset it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
This is a common problem and you can't reset it. You'll need to replace the door latch assembly. The unit doesn't think that the door is shut so any time you ask the unit to run it will just display PAUSE. Replace the latch assembly and you'll be good to go again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why would it suddenly decide that door is open? This is not something that I can do myself, obviously, but will require me to spend $75-$100 for repair call and I'm sure $75-$100+ for parts, now in addition to money now spent with you. How happy do you think I am with this answer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
It's something you can do yourself yes, unfortunately not everything can be fixed by just pushing a reset button but this is what you need to do to fix your appliance. The door latches on these models just fail for no reason at all, sometimes form an out of balance load, sometimes from pulling on the door before it's unlocked---it's hard to say but usually there is no reason at all.

To access and replace this part, you need to remove the outer ring holding the front of the rubber door gasket on, then you can reach behind the upper front panel and take the door latch assembly off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Not your fault that I did not get an answer that I wanted-- a simple solution. I cannot even figure out how to get front off washer and don't want to damage it with screwdriver trying to find spring clip. Sometimes you're damned if you don't and also damned if you do. I gambled and lost. Thanks anyway. Just give me a quick reply and I'll hit accept button. Sorry about the grumbling. Sometimes I feel the little black cloud over my head deliberately has it in for me.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Alright well I wish you the best of luck, like I said, it's pretty easy if you wanted to try, there is just a wire spring clamp around the outside of the rubber door gasket holding it on. Just use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire off and it will give you access to the door latch.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.