Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

refrigerator condenser fan starts and then stops, compressor

refrigerator condenser fan starts and then stops, compressor does not run at all
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

The compressor does not click or make any noise what so ever when the condensor fan tries to start? Also is this a very old unit we are talking about???

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The fan down by the compressor starts spinning and then there is a click and it turns off. It is a 1989

This click you hear is the compressor overload popping then shutting off the fan motor until it cools, you compressor is SHOT and will cost over $600 to repair, this is an old R12 system and would have to be retrofitted for the new style refrigerant on the market. Your best bet is to replace the entire unit with an energy efficient model on the market today, these use 60% less electricity than the model you have now...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

If you are on a SUPSCRIPTION PLAN for JustAnswers you still need to press the GREEN ACCEPT button, you will not be charged more than you monthly subscription rate you have??

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

If possible will please leave me Positive feedback as we are graded on our help to you. If you cannot leave Positive feedback please let me know why so I can try to help more.