Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I dont believe this is going to help me solve my problem.

Customer Question

I don't believe this is going to help me solve my problem. I think I'm going to have to get a repairman to drive over here from the nearest city. How can I terminate this?

I didn't get adequate help from the first guy. I don't want to invest more in the inability to get this solved. I believe it is beyond me and my tools to follow through on anymore of this on-line help. I'm not satisfied so I need to just discontinue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

do you have a volt meter? do you know how to check continuity?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX I have a volt meter but I'm not sure how to check the continuity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok try this, on the side of the heating element near the top in the back you will see this, Part 2651 not the one with the red and white but the other one, unplug the dryer and remove the two wires and tape them together to test only. try the dryer on high heat and see if it gets hot, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see nothing like that. I have the back off the lower portion of the dryer but not the control panel. At the top of the lower portion is a green wire which is grounded. There are three connections to the right of that which come from the three way power cord. There are various other connections scattered around the back, all of which look okay and are tightly connected.

Is the connection you are asking about under the control panel at the top of the back?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
do you have the big panel off the back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the big panel off the back. It is where there is a large tube that is open at the bottom and has some coils in it. It is where there are a number of electronic connections and three with insulators around them. It is where the exhaust from the filter exits into the discharge tube to leave the house. It is the biggie.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok on the side of the tube is there no thermostats?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are two red wires connected where I can remove the element. It is a plate. There are three red wires, two of which go to an insulator and it seems they are just wedged in, no screws but I couldn't seem to budge them. The third wire connects below the insulator in a common type connection. From that it appears that two bare wires disappear toward the coils that are located just above that. Sounds like maybe those are thermostats but I'm not that familar with those kinds of gadgets.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the one at the top of the side of the element is the thermostat you need to bypass, I know we can get to the bottom of this if we keep trying.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what do you want me to try? Disconnect the wires, tape them together, plug in the dryer and turn it onto high heat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes the two wires off the top disk (thermostat) not the heater itself wich has the two thicker red wires on it,

Edited by Bryan on 7/17/2010 at 6:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The connections are completely covered with nylon connectors. I have no hook up wire to short them. What do I do now? Can I insert needle nose pliers in without killing myself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no don't use needle nose. you have them off the thermostat? can you get your meter probes on the two connectors on the thermostat? set the thermostat to ohms and put one probe on each of the two spades and see if the meter needle goes up. remember always have the dryer unplugged when testing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did not move. The connection does not seem to be closed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok that means its bad, you will need to replace it, it comes in a set and you replace both the red and white one on the bottom and the one you tested, there are 1/4" screws holding these on. take a light and you will see them, you can order the set @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-110.66662500-%3d%3di2651&PartID=2651 it comes with instructions. good job, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question: Does the set include the top and bottom thermostats or do I have to order two sets?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
just one set, it includes both, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks Bryan. I hope this works.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you will be fine, you can come back if you need more info just leave the question open, thanks Bryan