Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore model 110.82881100 washing machine The timer is

Customer Question

Kenmore model 110.82881100 washing machine

The timer is not working. How do I replace the part? Can I repair the part? How?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

the only way to fix this would be replace the timer unfortunately, Part 1103you cant order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-110.82881100+-%3d%3dei1103&PartID=1103 take the screws out of the panel in the back of the control panel. then push the timer knob in and turn the knob counter clockwise to remove, take the screws out under the knob and pull the timer out through the back, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Directions are unclear. What screws do you mean? Will just the timer come out or will I have to take apart the all of the parts in the top section?

The only thing keeping the timer in that I can see are two screws half-hiding under the front plastic flange, that rests under the knob. That's why I took the panel off the back of the timer, to look for hidden screws.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

sorry, on this model you need to remove the two screws holding the control panel down , then tip it back to access the back of the timer, there are two screws # XXXXX on this diagram, this video shows how the control panel comes up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIsK3W_Qcg&feature=related

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the top panel off, that's not the problem. I need help replacing the timer assembly itself. There are no screws holding it in place that are accessible from the back, nor the front. Even if I were to buy a new timer, how am I supposed to take out the old and put in the new?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

do you have both knob pieces off the front? the one you pull out and the dial under it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the knob is definitely off, but not the underlying plastic flange that hides the underlying screws that I mentioned. If I could access those screws, it seems that would be the only things holding it on.

But I do not know how to take the plastic flange off to expose the screws. And there are NO SCREWS visible from the back!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you just pry this piece up and off, Part 2886the screws are under it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Like I said, i can't get that part off to expose the screws. How does it come off without breaking it? It refuses to be removed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it just slides on, there are no screws holding that, its just tight,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess its very tight. so i have to break a $20 part to replace a $100 part. ugh
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it should come off, this is unusual that its that tight
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It came off. i can't believe I took apart the $@^#*$ timer. over a worthless plastic piece that just comes off. thanks for the tip. should have broke that thing off first step, what an idiot. Guess I have to pay the idiot tax now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats great, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I was rude. Thanks Bryan. Glad you were here to get me past that sticking point. I'll be back. :)

By the way, looks like I managed to get the timer back together!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok great, no problem, thanks Bryan