Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag MBF1956HEW refrigerator is not cooling properly.

My Maytag MBF1956HEW refrigerator is not cooling properly. The freezer is working, but the refrigerator will not cool properly. I have vacuumed the vents in front on the bottom and unplugged the unit to reboot the computer. I have removed the back cover and cleaned the vents. The fan is working. The compressor appears to be working normally. What else could I check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

is there any frost at all on the back panel inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is frost on the back inside the freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and defrost the coils behind it, most likely the electronic control board has failed, this is extremely common on these , do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i have a voltmeter
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok first take the back panel off and tell me how much frost on the coils,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
trying to remove the panel - ice maker in the way
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you will need to remove it, take your time, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there are two potions of plastic on the panel. do these just pop off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
there are little plastic clips holding them in, pry gently. the grill piece at the top has little plastic clips you can barely see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the coils are completely frozen up - beginning defrost process
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok let me know when your done,there are three possible causes for this, 1 the defrost thermostat, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=clipped to the top of the coils, must have continuity when cold, 2 the defrost heater Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=control board
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have grandkids that sometimes don't properly close the freezer - could this have caused this problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
not if it really frozen solid, but it can affect the coils if left open long enough.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does the thermostat and heater have to be cut out to be checked or are there quick disconnect clips?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the thermostat you may need to cut the wires, the heater unplugs,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my heater has continuity - about 32 ohms. My thermostat has about 4 Megaohms when its about room temp placing it on ice causes it to show higher in resistance

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok, this means either the board is shot or the door was left open for an extended time, what i would do is put it back together and let in run for a week or so to see if it cools correctly, remember it take 24 hour to stabilize, if it doesn't run correctly replace the control board, this is the part that controls the refrigerator, its the part you push to set the temp.Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-MBF1956HEW-%3d%3di1472681&PartID=1472681 if needed, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I sure do appreciate your help. Hopefully I won't any other questions.

Thank You and have a great day.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you accept you can come back if you need more help, just leave the question open, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.