Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag electric dryer model MDE3600AYW bought new in 2003 doesnt

Customer Question

Maytag electric dryer model MDE3600AYW bought new in 2003 doesn't consistently get hot. This is regardless of the cycle selection or temp setting. Lint trap is always clean. I just check exhaust line and that is clear. Troubleshooting to get the dryer to heat up consists of playing with cycle/heat dial and try try try again or leave alone and come back after I'm less cranky.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

does this always heat just not as hot as it should be?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's either cold or hot. When it does heat up, the level of heat seems appropriate.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok so sometimes you get no heat at all. do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, sometimes I get no heat. I don't have a volt meter. If I had one what would be an appropriate continuity? But, since I don't have.. what next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well its most likely one of the thermostats thats causing this, you would need to check all the thermostats to tell. the other thing that can cause this would be the timer, sounds like one of the thermostats though,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How many thermostats are there? And were are they located?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
4 I believe, there is one on the burner tube that is most likely the cause but there are others on the blower housing, there is also a dryness control that could have an issue, my advice is a service tech though, these can be hard to diagnose.hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your very welcome, thanks, Bryan