Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

This is a GE side by side refrigerator about 4 years old.

This is a GE side by side refrigerator about 4 years old. The ice maker isn't working properly. It will make a 5-10 cubes and then stop without filling the bin.
The water dispenser in the door works fine.
I've tried using a hair dryer around the ice maker parts, didn't help.
The model is GSS23WGTA BB
Serial is LL 434055
The icemaker has this on it:
20006005G003
Polar 23
14/06/06 11-25
Not sure if it's still under warranty.
I bought the unit in June 2006.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer do you know the temp in the freezer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No frost I can see on the back of the freezer. there is some on the bottom of the ice bin.

The freezer temp is 0 (according to the display on the front control panel).

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok its cold enough if the temp is 0 , the problem is the ice maker itself, these are electronic and they fail a lot, watch and see if the ice maker is turning ,if not replace it, you can order one @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GSS23WGTA+BB-%3d%3di1399596&PartID=1399596 thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean "see if the ice maker is turning"? what should be turning?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the fingers. are they going around?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hard to say. It will make one batch of cubes and then stop. I'm wondering if the paddle is broken that detects the full bin. I took all the cubes out and pulled the paddle fully forward to see if it makes a batch of cubes. The cubes are in the trays frozen waiting to be ejected.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. When it pushes out a new set of ice cubes, the little paddle on the bottom of the unit that detects when the bin is full, goes towards the back by an inch by itself and that is what stops it from making more cubes. There's a spring on the axle that connects the paddle to the unit. I think this spring is supposed to keep the paddle forward (making more cubes) unless the full bin of cubes pushes it towards the back to stop it from making cubes. Do you think there's a way to fix that by an adjustment or by getting a new spring or do I need a new unit?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
they don't sell the spring or any parts for that ice maker separately, you will need to replace the ice maker unfortunately, sorry i didn't get back to you sooner , had a family emergency. hope this info helps, thanks Bryan