John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My dishwasher leaves food particles on my glasses.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Do you scrape the dishes off before they go in to the d/w ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We scrape all the major food off. The dishes on the bottom are coming out spotless but the glasses are getting food residue on the inside often. It is not leftover food from the glasses, but looks like fine particles from the wash cycle. thanks
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Write the model number to me if you send numbers with Kenmore it comes to me as XXXXX .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model number is 665.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I need all the numbers please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
665.16029402
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You have to remove the spray arm and check the wash impeller also make sure the holes in the spray arm aren't blocked up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, we are trying that now....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are no blocked holes. Can this just be a problem of water pressure?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked to see how much water is in the bottom of the tub after a fill?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems pretty full, and we have checked that the arm is moving during the cycle. The spray arm seal, part #8268433, is not a full ring, it has a break. Is this supposed to be a full continuous ring or should it be most of a circle?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Its normal to have that split in the ring go down further till you reach the wash impeller they wear out and wont push water to the spray arm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am confused, sorry. It is normal to have a break in the ring- right? Do you mean the split in the ring goes further down, or do you want us to go further down to the impeller? How do I check the wash impeller?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You have to remove the part under the spray arm then you'll see the wash impeller.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, I have the list of parts and do not see the impeller listed. We have the upper spray arm apart, is there a part number or another name it might be listed as? Am I looking in the wrong place?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I cant find a breakdown of your model number go through these and tell me which one is yours.

http://www.apwapplianceparts.com/Kitchen+Appliance+Parts/Dishwasher+Appliance+Parts/Dishwasher+Pump+and+Motor+Assemblies/default.aspx#whirlpool

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model is a 665-16029402 from Kenmore. The link you sent is to dishwater motors, so I guess the motor for our Kenmore was made by Whirlpool. I've confirmed that nothing is blocking the water flow, is it possible that low water pressure prevents the water from reaching the extremities of the upper spayarm, therefore leaving the glasses on the perimeter of the upper rack dirty?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes that happens theres a screen at the water valve that can get clogged up with sediment from hard ware or from the water tank, check that it could cause that problem.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.