Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have Kenmore side by side Fridge that is 6 years old.

We have Kenmore side by side Fridge that is 6 years old. Ever since it was new the refrigerator side will not cool below 50 during warm summer weather. When we had the warranty a service person came twice and said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Here we go again it is hot this summer and we have a beautiful but bummer of a fridge. The freezer words fine. We really can't afford a new one or an expensive repair. We do not have a service contract. What is the issue here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

well its sounds like the condenser fan may be bad and the compressor is shutting down early in the hot weather, also is the fan in the freezer running correctly? check and make sure the door gaskets are all sealing tightly,also make sure the light isn't staying on inside the fresh food section when the door is closed, when you get back check these things and try to get me the model # XXXXX I will see what else it could be, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning: The refrigerator is a Kenmore side by side Model 22SIA10.

The light appears to be working o.k. It is not hot here today so the fridge is staying around 38 degree with the thermostat turned all the way up. The last couple of days it was hot here and the temp in the fridge hovered around 50.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
have you check the condenser fan in the back next to the compressor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, didn't do this. I am not at the house right now so I will check tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Our single daughters live in this house and we are in the process of redoing the kitchen. Today I moved the fridge out to take wallpaper off behind it and on the side of it. I found mildew under some of the wallpaper from the floor and 2 feet up.

The base cabinet next to the fridge also had mildew on it. There was mildew around the baseboard as well. No other signs of mildew in this kitchen not even under the sink. Could the problem with the refigerator be causing the mold issues?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
it may , was the fan running or can you check that, the fan moves the air and helps it evaporate so if it stopped it may be keeping a lot of moister in the back and the refrigerator will overheat and shut down, that may be why it doesn't stay at temp.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.