John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Whirlpool Imperial Series Ultimate Care II washer

I have a Whirlpool Imperial Series Ultimate Care II washer that just broke down at the beginning of the spin cycle. It made a very loud banging sound as the spin cycle started. Before we could get to the washer it shut itself off. I believe it was probably loaded a bit too heavy. We pulled most of the clothes out and started the rinse cycle again but now that the tub has filled back up it will not agitate or spin. The model/serial numbers are CL1505589 LSN2000JQ1. Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this myself? Thanks!

Thanks for the question.

Will it pump out the water.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We just pulled the rest of the clothes out and I set the timer back to 'Rinse' and turned it on. The machine is now agitating with a tub full of water. When I set it directly to 'High Spin' or 'Low Spin' it does nothing.

Strike that, it just got to the end of the rinse agitate cycle and it just stopped.

How should I be able to get it to pump the water out?
Open and close the lid can you hear a click from the lid switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good thought. Since I sent the last one I discovered that the lid switch has broken off. By reaching in and prying the switch apart with my finger tips I got it to spin up and pump out the tub.

Looks like I need a replacement switch and the know-how to install it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC8SY3cU1Yc

Thats not a problem, heres a video on how to replace that lid switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the video link. Is there a viable method for repairing the switch? The material that the screws attach to split on both sides leaving two half-cylinder pieces. I have all the parts and could attempt to glue it back together for a short-term fix...

The switch still works if I can hold it in place.
Usually you cant if the screws cant hold it in place , you can bypass the switch till you can replace the switch just remember it wont stop if you raise the lid.