Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

my fridge freezer has started making a hissing sound today

my fridge freezer has started making a hissing sound today , if i turn it off by the plug and then back on it stops temporarily , it is about 3 years old . do you know what it could be ? thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
I know exactly what that is. Once every 8 to 12 hours your unit enters the defrost cycle.

During defrost what happens is a heater comes on to melt frost out of your freezer coils.

This element becomes very hot. Red hot....just like a stove.

The sound is the water bouncing off the element during this cycle. It is very normal, that is a good sound. Plug it in and know your unit is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.