esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp

Hi, I have a KENMORE 106.5702*601 Side by Side I bought

Customer Question

I have a KENMORE(NNN) NNN-NNNN601 Side by Side I bought in Dec.of 06
The Freezer is working fine but the ice is building up on the back
and blocking the air in to the Fridge.
How do i pin-point the problem and get the part replaced?

Thanks
Jesse
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 4 years ago.
hi jesse, behind the panel in the freezer there is a heater if its broken which 90 percent its made of glass and will burn out the ice will not melt but accumulate heavy blocking air flow. there is also a sensor that connects to the heater if itbad same result . this is the heater remove the cover in the freezer rear to observe parts
Part 452192 (Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
452192
Price
$45.30
In Stock?
Yes
Defrost heater assembly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK i dont see any glass but let me get the cover out
this is the sensor in the same area and sometimes they plug in together. this part snaps onto the evaporator coils
(Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
1399517
Price
$26.90
In Stock?
Yes
Thermostat, defrost bi-metal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
hi yes thats the sensor that turns the heater on does the heater look ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see some black coil that makes a u-shape starting @ both sides of the pic i sent u.
is this the heat source because i cant see any glass lamp you where mention'n to me.

Finally i see a green wire running to the back plate and to the motor is this Ground??
hi yes thats the heater the black u shaped part do u see where it connects does it look ok . also the first picture when that part goes bad the top pops open as if it were too hot and it burst on top
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
thanks great picture i suggest replacing the sensor and the defrost timer to fix this problem . this is the timer this complete list of parts is called a defrost system, the heater, sensor and timer.
Part 3348 (Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
3348
Price
$20.75
In Stock?
Yes
Defrost timer kit, 8 hour, replaces most/instructions included
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is that timer located?
How do i get these parts?
this timer sits in the housing where the control settings are if you open the fresh food side the controls are there on top correct
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which should i replace first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cant get the top cover piece of to get to the timer??
has one or two screws should not be hard to remove can you send me a picture of the control panel from the front i might be able to see how it comes off replace the timer first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
hi thanks these are these pictures ive ever had a customer send me ,and it helped . ok heres how it goes get a flat screwdriver or butter knife the front face of the control panel actually pops off wedge the knife or screwdriver between the front panel face at the edges and apply a little for and the panel will pop of a little at a time then you will see screws to remove
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok let me send u a Final pic of what i seegraphic
hi that square computer board wth the two red and the two blue transitors in the corner thats the timer looks different from what i sent because its been modified but thats the timer and now that i see it thats the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the timer u sent me also works in this fridge??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
hi no the timer on this fridge has been modifed so its electronic . but you can get it at sears or any local appliance store where you live
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot to mention....

The fridge would make a buffer sound like it was turning on... then i would hear a tick sound were the timer is located and the buffer sound stoped.
This cycle would repeat every 4 secounds til i turn off the fridge temp.
yeah that a bad timer being electronic it controls every function on the fridge can be a bad relay or transistor on the timer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah i just bypassed the thermostat and the coil did not heat...
is that also controled by the timer???
yes it is but the timer being electronic there is no way to put it defrosy mode to energize the wires for bypass
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if it still doesnt work after changing the timer... what u suggest.
would it be a bad control board?
hi the timer is called a control board thats all there is to this fridge this is your problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so there isnt a mother board?
no just that board and the control thermostat
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so how do i ask for this type of timer?
hi its called a adaptive defrost timer
Experience: my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you!!!!
thank u sir good luck