Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

My door handle on my Maytag Amana Fridge Freezer Model number

Customer Question

My door handle on my Maytag Amana Fridge Freezer Model number XRSS287BB is loose how do I tighten them, it is only on the freezer door handle.
Thanks for your Help
Regards XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Here is the service manual it should be on about page 53 of the manual for you..

https://acrobat.com/#d=oqoB6ApjohwnNg05cN3C9g

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

If you are on a SUPSCRIPTION PLAN for JustAnswers you still need to press the GREEN ACCEPT button, you will not be charged more than you monthly subscription rate you have??

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Chas thanks for the reply the door handles on My fridge Freezer are stainless Steel Rods and seem to tighten from behind the door cover
the copy of the manual you sent me have plastic handles
Regards XXXXX
Expert:  Chas replied 6 years ago.

Sorry

Chas

Edited by Chas on 7/10/2010 at 9:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Chas is there any more info that you need regarding the handles
Talk soon
Regards XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Chas not sure if this helps but the fridge is called Amana XRSS287BB side by side fridGe freezer
regards XXXXX
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, my name is Peter.

Your refrigerator has cusXXXXX XXXXXdles. They made a wide variety of handles for your refrigerator. If you see no screws on the handle then you have to remove the outer door panel to get inside and tighten the handle from inside. The outer panel is removed by screws on the top and bottom of the door, you will also have to remove the dispenser housing first by removing the drip tray and remove 2 screws behind the tray then the dispenser housing will drop down then you will have to unplug wires from the back of the housing.

You may send further questions directly to me.

Please push the green accept button.

Thank you,

Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Peter
thanks for the reply sorry to be a pain in the butt, there is no screws top or bottom of the freezer door I did manage to get the drip tray and dispenser housing off but no luck with the door handle tightening.If you could send me another email address I could take a picture of the front of the freezer door which may help and email the pictures to you.Talk soon
Regards
Don watts
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Don,

You should be able to attach a picture to your question.

The specifications on this refrigerator show it to be a counter depth 28 cu. ft. with custom door panels (either stainless or wood to match cabinets).

Is this a correct description?

Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Peter
I have sent an email with attachments [email protected] and put your name in the subject line .Talk soon
Regards
Don watts
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi Don,

I did not get the email. We are not allowed to give our personal emails, so I apologize for the inconvenience. I located the owners manual which illustrates very will how to install and remove all of the various types of handles that were available on your refrigerator.

You may download the owners manual @ http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/12591303.PDF and go to page 5.

If you have further questions you may send them directly to me.

Thank you for allowing me to assist on your issue. I hope that I have helped you arrive at a good solution.

Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Peter
       thanks for the email,the manual you sent me was the same one as Chas sent me and has plastic handles not stainless steel rods.Talk soon
Regards XXXXX     
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Peter I got an email from support re the photos that I was wanting to send but I can not seem to load them on here none of what she told me seems to be on this site .I think she may have passed them onto you but I am not sure Talk soon
Regards XXXXX
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Don,

There should be a tool bar across the top of the box where you type your question. You should see a smiley face then a space to the right then an icon that should say insert/edit image. That should get the pictures to me.

Anyway you said that the handles were plastic and I assume that they do not go all of the way to the top or bottom but are centered in the door. Some of the handles on other Amana and Maytag refrigerators slid down onto posts that were attached to the door. Try taking a piece of plastic the size of a credit card but about 1/2 as thick and slide it under the top part of the handle from underneath. It will insert approximately 3/4". Then you should be able to lift the handle straight up. I sometimes put blue masking tape above the area where the handle attach's to the door (upper and lower) to minimize scratching the door.

Let me know.

Thank you,

Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Peter The handles are stainless steel rods about 3/4 the length of the doors not plastic as in the manual you sent me.
I will have another look in the question box
Talk soon
Regards XXXXX