Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi. I am the proud owner of a Sears washer/dryer combo Mod

Hi. I am the proud owner of a Sears washer/dryer combo
Mod(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Ser MM4405485
Type CFCO-ELE-2306024-fm46 – whatever all that means…
So, it was always quiet when spinning a load in the tub, but lately it has begun banging and hammering – as if the load is uneven in the tub, but that was never a problem for the first few years (it’s about 6 yrs old). I always liked this machine because of that, as our previous machine did it constantly and we had to keep going in and moving the clothes around to stop it jumping around the room.
I had a look and the tub appears to be suspended on a shallow ball and socket arrangement with 4 springs in torsion horizontally to help stabilize the tub, but I can’t see anything that would limit the travel of the tub tilt-wise, and I don’t even know if that is the problem. What say you?
Larry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Please double check your model number. It doesn't show up on Sears site as valid. The serial number looks good though. Are you outside the USA?

Edited by Justin on 7/7/2010 at 2:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. The number I believe I gave you is(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich is confirmed.

I am in Ontario Canada

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. This is taking a long time. Do you have answer?

Larry

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sir, I opted out because I do not have access to Canadian model look ups. Another expert should be along to help. You may re-list this question as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. Please refer my question to someone who does have access.

Thanks.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sorry sir. If someone does have access to Canadian look ups, they'll be with you shortly. I know this is frustrating, but I just don't have access to Canadian information. Thanks for your patience. I can tell you though what I think your problem is. I feel you have a broken support structure on your spin basket.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Justin. You are probably right, but I would be glad to have that confirmed, and hopefully find out how to replace it.

All the best.

Larry

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

I can tell you how to verify it so you don't have to wait

Are you interested?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, of course.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you open the door and rotate the spin basket so that one baffle is dead center at the six o'clock position. Place all eight of your fingers on the inside of the front rim of the spin basket while placing your thumbs on the inside of where the tub and boot seal meet. Squeeze your fingers toward your thumbs. Repeat this process for all three spin basket baffles, at six o'clock. If one or more of the braces are broken, you will probably notice a difference when you squeeze. Make sure you squeeze hard. Your thumbs are there basically as a brace so you can pull the spin basket forward at each brace point. Let me know if you understand this. Also, let me know what the results are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a top loader without baffles (paddles?) in the tub. I think you are referring to a front loader are you?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Oh. As I said, I cannot look up your model and I read your first statement with four suspension mounts. Thought you were referring to a front loader. This is more like a Kenmore Oasis then?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hope you can see the picture I sent. That should help you see what we are dealing with
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

Oh ok. This is a Whirlpool built Thin Twin. Place this in a spin, with no clothes. Once it is up to full speed, open the lid and let me know if it rumbles or just coasts down to a stop in 5-10 seconds. Does the basket tilt heavily towards one side?

Edited by Justin on 7/11/2010 at 2:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it stops almost instantly, very smooth, no tilting.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
But it goes nuts in spin with clothes in it right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats right, usually
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
This unit should have three suspension springs attached to the base and also attached to the tub support directly above. They're about 10" tall. One in front, then one on the left and one on the right along with a different counterbalance spring by the suspension spring on the right side. Does this sound accurate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been a couple of weeks since I looked inside with the front cover off, but I seem to recollect that there were 4 opposing springs all pulling outward at the base, which seems to be a shallow dish with a corresponding one beneath that supports it.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Do me a favor and grab a picture of that. If it's set up the way I think it is, I may have a solution.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Justin, but it won't be until tomorrow at least.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Justin, I have uploaded a few pictures to my webspace. Hopefully you can see them and they will help.

Paste this url and see if it works for you.

Larry

http://picasaweb.google.com/104045481719757173183/Washer#

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

there are wear pads in this that may be worn out, these help keep the tub from moving to much during the spin cycle, Part 2978these are located between the tub and the base of the washer , it also has a balance ring on the top of the inner tub Balance ring (includes item 21)you need to check both of these, one of them is the problem, let me know what you find, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have ascertained that there should be 3 pads under the mounting plate and they have disintegrated (there is no sign of them except that one fragment I showed you). That, I am sure, is the problem. Now, do you think that you have been instrumental in solving this problem, given the advice I received?

If so, I will pay you.

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well if you don't think I've helped you don't have to accept, I didn't see a post where you showed me these sorry, however you can order these @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-110.1850292+-%3d%3di2978&PartID=2978 if that helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yesterday I called Sears parts and they told me I could pick up the parts at Belleville, one hour from here. I went there and they told me they didn't stock it and they would have to order it from the warehouse, which is also in Belleville. I waited from 8:30 till 1:00 today for the parts and they were the wrong ones, which I didn't know till I got them home.

So, going by the illustration you sent me, which was much better than the one Sears provided, I was able to order them from Toronto and my daughter picked them up for me on her way up here. Toronto is 2 hours from here so that was great. Sears wanted a week to get them here!

So, my friend, you did help me after all and I will hit the little green button.

All the best,

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thanks Larry, good luck and have a nice day, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again.

I got the washing machine back together last week and it has done several loads beautifully. However, yesterday it quit running during a cycle. It fills and agitates, but when it comes to rinse, it stops. I tried it in all cycles - delicate etc. and it has the same functions working and the same functions not working in all of them. Once it stops, the timer does not advance - I presume it's waiting for a signal from something?

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
lid switch most likely if it stops at spin, could be loose or broeken,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was the lid switch. I had taped it together last time because I noticed it was separating. however, the tape had dislodged so I put a ty-rap around it this time.

Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome, thanks and have a great day. Bryan