Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a Whirlpool microwave that wont heat anything. It is

I have a Whirlpool microwave that won't heat anything. It is not in demo mode, we have tried unplugging to "reset" it, but nothing helps. It looks like it's working but when you check the food, it's stone cold. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
please remember we are not in your home to do the repair or test our self and cant always be 100% and can always overlook something / thanks

when you program it and start it do you hear a hum or buzz coming from inside while its running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like it is working normally, placing a 1 cup container of water for two minutes. The water does not warm at all!!
how old is the microwave?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Less than two years. The only thing that I can think of is that I accidently had the unit on cook instead of timer for about 5 min. recently ??
so you ran it on cook for 5 minutes without anything inside?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is correct, I do not recall if it was working, after that ??? We do use it regularly for defrosting meat etc. !
you have either a bad magatron or high temp thermostat on the magatron and the unit will have to come down and cabinet removed so you will need a tech ,, if its the magatron then its under warranty but the thermostat isn't and read this and you can see what i said you need a tech to do this for you / thanks

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

/!\ WARNING

ELECTROCUTION HAZARD
HIGH VOLTAGE

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven.
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service