Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

How do I remove the plastic fan blade from a model ls-80 nutone

How do I remove the plastic fan blade from a model ls-80 nutone bathroom fan?

Thank you in advance!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Craig :

There is usually a small clip on the end of the fan where it is attached to the motor shaft. If you pull that off, the fan blade will just pull off the shaft of the motor.

Craig :

It's a lttler metal clip right on the end of the fan blade at the shaft end

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to look there now. There is also a piece of metal between the fan and blade that I can't get off with the fan on. BRB

Customer:

I can't really see or get at the shaft end because the blade is in the way. Do you think I would be able to get at a clip through the fan blade?

Craig :

The clip should be on the top or shaft end right there where you can see it.

Craig :

Don't you see a round clip with two little prongs that you squeez together to open and slip off?

Customer:

No, on the inside of the fan blade, where the shaft ends, there is only a round piece of metal like the top of the shaft. It is not slotted or hex shaped and will not turn easily. I'm afraid that if I try to turn it too hard I will wreck it.

Craig :

Look at this little clip on the right in the photo, is it similar?

Craig :

These types of clips just pull off with needle nose pliers, it won't wreck it

Craig :

Grab the 'back or thick part with pliers and pull it off, 180 degrees from the 'open' side

Customer:

I'm sorry, I can not find the clip; I will try to send a photo....

Craig :

Yes

Customer:

OK, It's taking a little time to get a good shot. sorry.

Craig :

it's OK

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok, that's the end of the fan.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Here's the whole fan.

Craig :

Good shots

Craig :

It looks like there is going to be an allen screw for one this size...

Customer:

Ah, where do you think it would be?

Craig :

give me a sec...on the outside end, clear the dust away and look all the way around the end near the shaft

Customer:

Ok, brb

Customer:

Nope, I don't see anything there. I wish I could see into the shaft near where it goes into the motor but because of the blades I can't see into there.

Customer:

Ok, could it be that there's just no way to get it off? It's just made as a unit and replaced as a whole unit?

Craig :

If you do not have any screw there at the end where I put the arrow, there is none and it just needs to be pulled off

Craig :

Why are you trying to get it off?

Customer:

Just to make it easier to clean the whole thing up.

Craig :

No don't worry abou that.

Craig :

Leave it on and clean it in place

Craig :

You will just make more work for yourself messing with that

Craig :

If the motor runs, bolw things out good and leave it alone is my suggestion

Craig :

I think it's a pressed fit and it will not be easy to pull

Craig :

It usually requires heating it up

Customer:

Yeah, no doubt. I got started on this because the baffle was stuck. It seems like the initial installation was not that good to start with and the fan sort of moves around in the ceiling enclosure.

Craig :

The whole thing, not the squrril cage fan?

Craig :

Maybe going back together you can put more mounting screws to secure the housing?

Customer:

Well, yeah, I mean the fan and enclosure. I guess about all I can do at this point is clean the whole business and try to get it as tight as possible in the ceiling enclosure and check that the baffle is opening and closing.

Craig :

Yes, good. That's all it needs.

Customer:

So, Craig, I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this fan. I guess I click on the green accept button from here?

Craig :

Put a few more screws in going back in with it

Customer:

Sounds good!

Craig :

use some canned air and blow things off good.

Craig :

Are there any holes for s few drops of oil for the motor?

Customer:

Yeah, probably use a tooth brush too to get it as clean as possible. Hmm, I'm not sure where I would put the oil.

Craig :

Some of these have a small hole on the front and back 'top' edge and a bit of oil would give you more miles!

Craig :

Let me see...

Craig :

BRB

Customer:

If it helps at all the motor model # XXXXX XXXXX 89167

Craig :

It may not be servicable

Craig :

Some motors have them and some don't

Customer:

Yeah, I don't see any on the bottom (right side of photo) and it there is one on the other side i can't see or get at it because of the fan.

Craig :

NO, then it's not there. It would be on the top edge of the motor

Craig :

Front and back, there is a 'bushing' a cheaper version of a bearing

Craig :

It is probalby fine of the fan turns freely?

Customer:

OK. Do you think the baffle will stop sticking if I just clean it all up? Do they ever warp or anything and bind up? It doesn't look like it is...

Customer:

Yeah, it turns fine, it's a little wobbly but free.

Craig :

yes, blow it out good but don't use oil, it holds dust real bad

Craig :

A dry graphite lube would be best if you have to lube it

Customer:

So, yeah, I was quoted $158 for a new fan so if I can get by with this one I'm good!!!!

Craig :

Yes, very good! Glad to see you fixing stuff instead of buying new!

Craig :

Well, if thee is nothing else, I will switch to Q/A and maybe you could press Accept?

Customer:

Right on! I've two bathroom fans I'm fixing, the other seems to have the clip on the end doesn't seem to have a clip either and the motor is definetly shot. Yes, I will press accept!

Customer:

Ok that wasn't clear! It doesn't have a clip either.

Craig :

Ok, thanks and have a good 4th, eat a big grilled burger today! Craig

Customer:

Ok, thank you very much! And a great 4th to you too!!!!!

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Craig