Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool model TAWS800JQ1. Washer fills and timer rotates

Customer Question

Whirlpool model TAWS800JQ1. Washer fills and timer rotates but motor does not spin. Instead, something, relay? chatters. Neither agitation nor spin dry works. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
does it still drain the water?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does not spin at all. So the water stays in the bottom. I siphoned it out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok so when it's supposed to be draining and spinning does it make a noise like the motor is running or not?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When the button is pressed to start a cycle, either agitate or spin, something inside, perhaps a relay, chatters until the button is deactivated.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok but there isn't a button that is pressed right? I mean you pull out on the timer to start the cycle so are you saying as long as the timer knob is in the "out" position it chatters?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check, back quickly. You are correct. With pointer to "Spin" and pulling out on knob, chattering begins and stays until knob is pushed back in.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok is the chattering coming from the control panel area or down below? Also is it more of a ticking like a click or louder chattering?

Edited by appliance Doc on 7/1/2010 at 5:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chattering is From contrrol panel area.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok and is it more of a ticking like a lock or loud chattering?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is somewhat like a doorbell buzzer, many cylces per second. Humming/buzzing like a doorbell without the bell, just the relay making and breaking.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok well that is likely that your board on the back side of your timer is just shorted. You can't test it but it sounds like it's definitely bad. Below is a link to the part you will need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE