Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

We have a ISD990 opener and it quit working. The light & motor

Customer Question

We have a ISD990 opener and it quit working. The light & motor start to work for about 1/2 second then go out.I removed the fuse to the motor, but the light still went out in about 1/2 second. John Goff
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Craig :

We need to verify the recepticle voltage for the opener is not dropping out when under load. Can yoiu get a meter? It sounds like a bad connection either in the plug that the opener is plugged into, or on the terminals inside the opener. Check that first.

Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is 124 volts at the outlet,& at the plug in the opener. It goes dead after i try to open it. I can disconnect the power sorce then it will go for about 1/2 second
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Now tell me carefully, the outlet that you're plugged into for the opener goes dead when you try the door? Or the power from the opener goes dead to the motor? Be very specific and details matter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is 124 volts to the white plug on the board Constantly, but something clicks and goes out. If I push the button again nothing happens untill I unplug the power sorce and plug it in again
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
There seems to be some kind of overload protection dropping the power out to the board. You unplugging it resets it. It sounds like the control board or something it's feeding has an issue. You have done what I would do by unpluuging the motor to eliminate that from the mix. I want you to unhook the motor completely from the board and unhook the light. Then try it. I want to get all the circuits coming off the board unhooked. Something is shorting out tripping the overload...