Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Hotpoint side by side HSS22GFTG WW. I replaced the MWF water

Hotpoint side by side HSS22GFTG WW.
I replaced the MWF water filter for the first time this morning and could not get water to flow. Re-installed old filter and also tried the plug for no-filter operation and still no water flow. The filter removed easily and re-installs easily, but it seems the check valve is not releasing to allow water to flow into the filter. Any ideas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Did you open the water valve to let water into the filter? Have you tried removing the filter and slowly opening the water valve and see if water would be coming out of the filter housing?

If you try to dispense water in the front, would you hear a solenoid clicks at the back of the unit?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do hear the solenoid click and I did not close the water valve when I replaced the filter.
The instructions indicate there is a check valve so you do not need to turn off the water supply.
The water supply is still turned on and even without a filter or the bypass plug installed there is not any water comming out of the filter housing.

It acts like the check valve is not allowing water to flow after I install the filter.

Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry but I am not familiar with that kind of a check valve issue. I will opt out so that other expert may answer you.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Was there water flowing before you installed the filter? Is the water supply line turned on to the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Water was flowing and the original filter had been installed fora year so I thought i would change it. The water is turned on and Each time I re-install the filter now (old or new) I hear a chatter from aea where you screw in the filter and a small amount of water will then come out of the dispenser.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Pull off the grille from the bottom of the unit. On the left by the freezer door, but slightly under the unit, you'll see a round fitting attaching the water lines. If you push in on the colored sleeve while pulling out on the water tubing, it should disconnect. Make sure you push in hard on that collar. After this is done, close the freezer door and push your water paddle and tell me if water comes out of that tube below the freezer door.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no water there
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
No water comes out when you press the paddle? Ok, if all you did was replace the filter one day and then you have no water afterward, it sounds like the filter head might be damaged. You can also check by removing the filter head and removing the tubes, press the paddle to make sure you have water going up to that point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I just remove tje 2 screwws on the back to remove the filter head?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

According the illustrated parts look up, it appears that way. Then it should pull forward. I cannot recall if the head has the quick disconnects on it like under your door. The head tubing may run out the back of your appliance directly to the fill valve. You can also remove the tube which goes to the filter head from your valve and push the paddle in to rule out your valve as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay I will give that a try in the morning. Thanks for the help. Where is this green accept button ?
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
I want to know you've found your issue before I send you the accept button :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I will get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I work until around 5 PM but I will be on afterward in the evening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Justin ,
I ordered the filter assmbley and tube from top appliance parts.com and installed it myself.
The small plastic nub on the check valve plunger was broken off the old one.
My guess is, it was broken when the first filter was installed and the piece stayed in place until I removed the filter for the first time.

Thanks for help - send me a submit button,

Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Congratulations on fixing that Mike. I'm glad I pointed you in the right direction.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service