John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool dish washer Model # DU915PWSQ0. A couple of screws

Whirlpool dish washer: Model # XXXXX A couple of screws were dropped into the bottom of the dishwasher and I am trying to retrieve them to prevent possible damage. I have removed the washer arm and pump outlet but can't remove to parts under that. There is a 1/4" drive screw or bolt head recessed into an approximately 1" plastic nut which is recessed into the whole thing about 1.5" so it is very hard to grasp. I have tried to remove this 1/4" screw/bolt with no luck using reasonable force. How does it come apart?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

You have to hold # XXXXX to remove the screw some can be a little tight try tapping the head of that screw it should loose up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the diagram. I have tried to hold onto the plastic nut (#11) while removing #12 with a 1/4" nut driver. With GREAT difficulty it has turned once or twice but does not begin to loosen. I am concerned (from experience) that I may be about to strip it. Also, #11 is recessed into #9 about 1 1/2" which makes it very hard to grasp. All this leads me to think that I am on the wrong track and that's why I am asking for help.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Your on the right track you have to hold the wash impeller with a pair of vise grips then turn the 1/4 in screw.They can be a bugger to remove.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I'll tell you what, I'll go try again, because you said so. I don't think that's an $18.00 answer, but, if it works, that means you helped me get the job done and I will authorize payment. I'll get back to you within an hour, I think. Thanks
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Well its the only way to remove it whether you think its worth the $ 18.00 or not.like I said it can be a difficult one to remove.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.