Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My dryer will not come on (Kenmore Elite Smart Heat QuietPak

Customer Question

My dryer will not come on (Kenmore Elite Smart Heat QuietPak 9 HE 4)
Only 5 years old. It is plugged in and the light comes on when you open the door
the door is closed completely and the dryer will not come on, the buttons do not light up; it does not allow you to make a dryer selection. PLEASE HELP
Thanks! Amy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
when you press the start button, does it beep back at you? If so, how many times?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No beeping at all.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok and does the timer count down when you press the start button even though the drum isn't turning?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No timer, no count down, no button lights, no beeping - nothing -

only the interior dryer light comes on when you open the door and goes off when you close the door, otherwise dryer is dead

tried unplugging and plugging back in - nothing

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok then you just have a shorted control board because there are no fuses that will cut power to the display. Try unplugging the unit for 60 seconds to reset the board. If that doesn't work, then replace the power relay board. If you remove the 3 screws along the back of the top panel, you can then pull the top panel back, up, and off. The control board is mounted on the left side wall just under the top panel and it costs about $150 or so.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where can I purchase a control board?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if you have the full model number, you can purchase one at Searspartsdirect.com
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is the part called something else? I went to Searspartsdirect and put in the model#

There is no part called a control board or power relay board....

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
it might be called the microcomputer or electronic control or something like that. When you find the part number link it to me and I'll tell you if it's the right one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so the part I need is the "electronic control" part # XXXXX - Sears cost $252.00

the part loks like the entire FRONT panel with the control buttons - dryer settings, start button etc. IS THIS THE CORRECT PART? Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
that is not the correct part, do you have the model number so I can look it up for you? Be sure to include the decimal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
I don't see it on the sears website which is a bit odd. But here is the part on Repairclinic.com.

CLICK HERE