Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

what should be the ohms reading on a properly functioning defrost

what should be the ohms reading on a properly functioning defrost timer ?fridigidaire model # XXXXX

I would not know what terminals you took with those readings and what is your meter settings.

You can find the resistance of the timer motor if you set your meter to measure in the kilo ohms range.

If your timer has a single spade and a set of three, then the timer motor coil is usually the single and the center of the three.

Then from that center, there should be a close contact reading with one of the other two terminal and open contact reading on the other.
And once you turn the timer clock wise, wait until you hear a click and test the three terminals again. With respect to the center terminal, the one with the close contact should now have an open reading and the one which has an open contact should now have a close contact reading. Close contact means near zero reading. Open contact means infinity.

Here is a site which explains it too.

please click the blue word.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did what you suggested prior to contacting you, I simply want to know what numbers i should be getting. Is 8.2 a good reading? my meter is digital.
If you touch each leads together, what does it reads?

8.2 is not a good close contact reading.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the meter is set at 200K 3 is the common 3,2 reads infinity 3,4 reads 8.3 3,1 reads8.3 After I turn the switch manually the readings are3,2 8.3 3,4 infinity 3,1 8.2 Are these numbers good ( is the timer good or I need to replace it) The frige is cool it will not freeze water.

The leads read 00.0

Ok..Thank you for those info. 8.2 kilo ohms is a good reading for the timer coil. That would be 3,1

What I am worried about is that on the first test, 3,4 should read 00.0 and on the second test, 3,2 should read 00.0 also to indicate a close reading. Like when you touch each other leads.

Are there still wires attached to the timer when you are doing the test?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no wires it is disconnected and sitting at my desk

please double check the readings of 3,2 and 3,4. you should get a 00.0 reading on them on either test. If you do not have a 00.0 reading, then the timer is bad.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, you are an expert . I will install the new part, and look forward to using your services in the near future.

Andy Kosmach, Property manager

Nehemiah Homes LLC

Ok. You are very much welcome.

please do not forget to accept.