Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Our Elextrolux refrigerator is too cold and the refrig setting

Our Elextrolux refrigerator is too cold and the refrig setting is at its highest point. Food in the back of the fridge and vegetable trays are freezing. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi do you hear the compressor running all the time?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hadn't thought about it but hear it going now.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok Things can cause this. If the compressor is running all the time then the thermostat will need to be replaced. If the unit has digital controls then this is built into the motherboard. If the control is a knob then the thermostat will be located directly behind the knob.

If the compressor is not running all the time then the damper door is stuck in the open position. This is the door between the freezer and the fridge that controls the amount of air that passes from the freezer to the fridge. This is located inside the panel at the top of the fridge. You will need to check and see if something is blocking the door open (ice). If nothing is blocking the door open then you will need to replace it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There appears to be a piece of styrofoam in what I assume is the door. We have had problems since we bought this unit. Is there a reason for the styrofoam or was it just not removed on instalation?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
The Styrofoam is basically there for insulation. So that mechanical or digital controls don't freeze up. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is that the door you are referring to though, where I should be looking for blockage?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If you remove the control panel at the top of the fridge this is located inside the vent that leads to the freezer. If the unit is one year old it's probably covered by the warranty. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm still trying to figure out the problem.  There is a sophisticated control panel in front of the freezer section.  Is there something else behind the little box where I found the styrofoam.  Also, the light in the back of the fridge are extremely hot.   It this normal?  May just be because I have fridge open for a few minutes.  The compression is still going since we started the discussion.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What is the model number? I will see if I can pull this unit up on my system.

graphic